Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Reds,Double Rhoads, and 25th anniv...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G&G case, not hardshell, custom fit case.

yes there is a tonal difference, i own both... the 25th has more of a growl and bit to it, could be more wood and nonrecessed floyd.

my kv2 is a 2008 quicksilver i got through jackson (im an endorser).... it was used for pics for the upcoming catalog.

I don't play the 25th live, i really don't play it home either for fear of taking a wing tip off

not trying to derail the thread either...

the quicksilver...

I removed the 2 other knobs and used plugs to fill the holes so i could get to the switch... as you can see the bar hangs in front of everything.

sorry for the slight thread derail..

the 25th has emg's now as in the earlier pics and only the closest knob is hooked up, the rest are dummies and i'm using for our upcoming video
    Last edited by RD; 08-23-2008, 02:18 AM.
    USA Doublerhoads Custom Shop
    USA King V Custom Shop X Series

Comment

No thread derail brother! This thread included the 25th's also!
      Those are some nice V's bro, and I don't blame you for not playing the 25th very much. Besides that's what the Quiksilver's for right?

The 25th would be great for recording probably, because of the wood mass, and it probably sounds sweet as hell.

Must be nice to be an endorser!! lucky bastard!

edit: BTW, what pickups are in the 25th? Are they stock? If not what did they come with?
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
        No thread derail brother! This thread included the 25th's also!
        Those are some nice V's bro, and I don't blame you for not playing the 25th very much. Besides that's what the Quiksilver's for right?

The 25th would be great for recording probably, because of the wood mass, and it probably sounds sweet as hell.

Must be nice to be an endorser!! lucky bastard!

edit: BTW, what pickups are in the 25th? Are they stock? If not what did they come with?
        came stock with jb/59... now has emg 81/85 (same pups i've used since 1990).

Thanks on the Jackson deal... it's not my first time around with them though. When Fender bought them out i had just got in and ordered 3 usa Jacksons 3 months before the buyout when my band "Exiled" got signed to Hellion Records of germany. When Fender came in they cleaned house... my rep was released and my info went with him, after a couple months of hearing about the buyout I called and asked for my rep, they said he was no loger there so they put me in touch with the new guy and he goes... "Randy who?" so I never got my guitars because they has cleaned out the roster and had no info on my at all cause i hadn't paid for teh guitars and they never shipped so they had no address for shipping or billing dept's...

Technically.... Jackson still owes me 3 guitars at $800.00 each which was what i was quoted..

KV2 white, red blood splatter upside down cross inlays, emg's

RR1 black with giant raiders logo on the face of the guitar

SL2H, reversed body with a giant Raider Helmet on the face, upside down inlays, backwards&upsidedown Jackson logo.

wish I could have seen those...
        Last edited by RD; 08-23-2008, 02:46 AM.
        USA Doublerhoads Custom Shop
        USA King V Custom Shop X Series

Comment

Never knew the double Rhoads was that much bigger, I think it looks a lot better than the KV2 anyway. I think the normal KV's look pretty small, especially on large people, it is just too small to my liking. I'd die to play and feel a double Rhoads for once. It would be absolutely killer if they made a retail version of it... though it will never happen I guess.

Comment

pickups are in the 25th? Are they stock? If not what did they come with?
            should be duncan distortion/duncan jazz

Originally posted by Torgreen View Post
            BIG super V´s.....very tasty!!

I wonder what the sound difference is between the big ones and the normal KV2´s.....I would expext some more low-end in the big ones do to the larger amount of alder wood..!??
            it's actually poplar, with the exception of jcf-02-01 and perhaps ej's.

The Big Red's have their own specially made case, I'm wondering about the '25th' Double Rhoads, do they have their own case, considering they are a limited run and also a USA?
            All USA's come with cases, so what does your case look like?
            should be the same case; the guitars were most likely made in the same batch; we found out about the plans for the 25th while big red was being made, and i was a little pissed because there was a chance that they would be painted red (which would have made way more historical sense than the mercedes silver).

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
              you've pretty much nailed it, sir! your clear coat is most likely polyester, when it was supposed to be urethane. the other potential difference is that your body wings are most likely alder - the second prototype (that later became jcf-02-01) had alder wings, but was supposed to be poplar.

sully

That's cool Sully I prefer alder over poplar. How are you doing? I wish I knew about #JCF02-30 I probably would have picked it up. How did you end up with a extra?

EJ

Comment

i didn't personally end up with it, i'm sure it's still at fullers. jackson always makes extras of limited runs. there's at least one extra of jcf-01 as well.

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

i didn't personally end up with it, i'm sure it's still at fullers. jackson always makes extras of limited runs. there's at least one extra of jcf-01 as well.

sully
                  An extra JCF-01? You mean besides the three prototypes Sully?
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

sully
                    I didn't mean you personally . When I asked KE he said there were no more. When did you find out they had an extra.

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                      An extra JCF-01? You mean besides the three prototypes Sully?
                      they weren't prototypes, but extras that were given P serial numbers.

i found the extra jcf-02 at the dallas guitar show in april.

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Why do they make extras anyway? You said that they usually make an extra few of the limited runs. Could it be in case of a damaged guitar during shipment or one sent in that deems replacement?

That's interesting for sure!
                        It's stupid to ask, but a custom shop Double Rhoads in Red would probably be considered artist similar right?
                        If so, what if it was a 1Hum/1Vol and a Recessed Floyd but also painted Red?
                        (Just pipe dreaming a way to own a Red Double Rhoads, don't mind me.)
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven

Comment

extras are made in case one is damaged, has quality issues, etc.

hard to say about the red double rhoads; when we had this run made, the artist similar issue wasn't an issue. it was made clear that this was a tribute guitar, and jackson even had the signed plates. we were going to have robbin's signature on the headstock (near the made in usa part), but were not allowed to unless we had permission from the executor of his estate.

now if we were to try to have the guitar made, i'm sure it'd get shot down because of the artist similarity. i think that if you went one hum, recessed floyd, and maybe added one other change, you may not have an issue.

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

extras are made in case one is damaged, has quality issues, etc.

hard to say about the red double rhoads; when we had this run made, the artist similar issue wasn't an issue. it was made clear that this was a tribute guitar, and jackson even had the signed plates. we were going to have robbin's signature on the headstock (near the made in usa part), but were not allowed to unless we had permission from the executor of his estate.

now if we were to try to have the guitar made, i'm sure it'd get shot down because of the artist similarity. i think that if you went one hum, recessed floyd, and maybe added one other change, you may not have an issue.

sully
                            1 other change like maybe an unpainted neck, and reverse headstock
                            And another real good one: Left Handed (which would then make my reverse headstock be a regular righty) Doh!

That would be really cool actually, and it's not that I'm trying to rip off the design or make light of the tribute either. I love Robbin's playing and I respect the Big Red tribute for what it is. I am just trying to figure out a way to have a similar guitar in all aspects, so when you'd see it, you'd think 'Big Red', but also have some of my personal specs and touches on it, that the longer you look at it the more apparent they become.

I'd be extremely happy with those specs, I don't like 2 hum,non recessed Floyd,painted necks, and a bunch of controls anyway.

Thanks for the insight Sully!
                            'Howling in shadows
                            Living in a lunar spell
                            He finds his heaven

Comment

they weren't prototypes, but extras that were given P serial numbers.

i found the extra jcf-02 at the dallas guitar show in april.

sully
                              Thats interesting, if not prototypes why not give them the same serial number scheme as opposed to the P designation. Anyway, I know that according to Lloyd there were 3 JCF-01 P numbered guitars. I have P1, Lloyd sold off the others as well. One was lost in shipping and he had to send the guy the remaining one. Last year that lost one was on E-Bay from somewhere in New York. And thats the history of the JCF-01 extra guitars that I know of up to now Thanks Sully.
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

from what i remember, it had to do with the serial numbers and the original plan of the jcfyce.

sully
                                Sully Guitars on Google+
                                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X