Ordering Custom Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    You were also a tight end, but then after the team had their way with you, you became a wide receiver.

Comment

Bamboo.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        You were also a tight end, but then after the team had their way with you, you became a wide receiver.
        Does not matter I was still poplar!

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
          balsawood
          Check out my sweet new Ke... Hey! Why did my finger just leave a hole in it?!
          "Dear Dr. Bill,
          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

hidden switch cavity?
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Weight

I've read somewhere (don't remember where right now) that poplar is lighter than alder. I had a catalogue where they had written the weight of each type of wood for a given size. Poplar was the lightest they had available.
              '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
              '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
              '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
              '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
              '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
              '13 Gibson M-III
              Taylor 214CE
              Dean 6-string Bass
              Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Poplar is indeed lighter then Alder, let's say average 450 kg/m3 for Poplar and 550 kg/m3 for Alder. Redwood and Spruce are in the same region as Poplar when it comes to kg/m3
                Last edited by pebber; 08-18-2008, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Not always true. The Charvel Model 6 I had was heavier than any alder guitar I've owned. And my poplar Dinky HX is actually lighter than my swamp ash Carvin.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wood varies greatly in density from piece to piece and tree to tree. I've had ash guitars that weigh a ton, and mahogany and solid maple guitars that were pretty lightweight. Some people just don't get this. Some stupid twat tried to ridicule me once because I said that not all mahogany guitars were heavy. In the end, he's the one that looked stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by pebber View Post
                      Poplar is indeed lighter then Alder, let's say average 450 kg/m3 for Poplar and 550 kg/m3 for Alder. Redwood and Spruce are in the same region as Poplar when it comes to kg/m3

All that I can tell you is that every 1990 -1995 Pro Jackson that is Poplar (that I have felt) is heavy. Very heavy.

and Every soloist (USA soloist) that was pre 1999 (poplar) was very heavy indeed.

Most of the jackson alder guitars that I have picked up are light.

But every guitar feels different, and I'm sure that heavy alder or Poplar or Mah could be found.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                        Wood varies greatly in density from piece to piece and tree to tree. I've had ash guitars that weigh a ton, and mahogany and solid maple guitars that were pretty lightweight. Some people just don't get this. Some stupid twat tried to ridicule me once because I said that not all mahogany guitars were heavy. In the end, he's the one that looked stupid.
                        Agreed!!!! I can't believe how light my KV2T is for an all mahogany guitar. I believe mahogany varies so greatly because of the many different species of mahogany available.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                          Agreed!!!! I can't believe how light my KV2T is for an all mahogany guitar. I believe mahogany varies so greatly because of the many different species of mahogany available.
                          Yeah, there's the Furniture species and then there is the Guitar species

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                            +1000
                            poplar alder very similar alot of companys dont like poplar because it can be an odd shade of green sometimes even purple sometimes streaked with this coloration which can be a problem when finishing bursts or trans colors.

Comment

Id say whatever wood sounds good 2 years from now~! (that was just
                              wrong wasnt it?) :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                                +1000
                                poplar alder very similar alot of companys dont like poplar because it can be an odd shade of green sometimes even purple sometimes streaked with this coloration which can be a problem when finishing bursts or trans colors.
                                Poplar can actually vary all the way up to pure black. I assume it's caused by minerals in the water or something, but at the place I used to work, they sold dimensional poplar and poplar trim, and I saw tons of pieces that were almost totally black. There was nothing wrong with it, it was just black. Some pieces were multicolored, and contained dark yellow, green, black, and everything in between. They looked really cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X