Switching pickups to a PC-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
    The Jackson sustainer neck pickup is the most powerful of any on the market. Just try a Fernandez or Sustainiac, they are both weak as I have both of them on other guitars. I love the Jackson sustainer on my PC1's. IMO this is the unique feature of this particular guitar. I only wish the Jackson sustainer was available as aftermarket, then my other guitars would have them too.
    I think it was available aftermarket at one time... wasn't it the original Floyd Rose sustainer that Kramer used in the late '80s, just a single coil sized version?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, it's the Floyd Rose Sustainor (note the "o" at the end - that's the proper product name).

You can move it to the middle, but it will not work as well, if at all.

Try a pickup booster pedal or something if the neck pickup tone or output bothers you.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The Jackson sustainer is a re-branded Floyd Rose unit.
        Moving the driver to the center position will kill the effectivness of the driver.
        It is also the ONLY unit on the market that will work with the center or neck pickup.
        And to answer your question about Phil's setup, this is the same setup he uses.
        His tone is a combo of the guitar and his rig.
        I find his tone is pretty difficult to replicate outside of a studio rig.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Arpeggio View Post
          Nope, the more I play it the more I like it.

Another question... how is that when you switch the sustainer on, it actually works with every PU combination, not just the neck?
          That makes me think that the sustainer has no particular reason for being in the neck position and that it can be moved a position down (to middle).
          Maybe I have to contact Jackson to shed some light, but will I ever get a reply?
          When you activate the sustainor, it automatically engages the neck pup, no matter what the 5 way switch is set to.

Plus I think it would have to be double shielded to work in the middle position. Where it is it's shielded against the middle and neck pups.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
            ....However, Rick on here told me that there are a couple of trim pots on the PCB which can be tweaked to improve the output of the pickups somewhat.
            Here's an older thread that talks about the trim pots on the PCB (towards the last part of the thread):
            http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69327

Comment

Working...
            X