Headstock Re-Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
    What's the problem with the imitation logos? They might not be 100% identical, but you know it's a Jackson, and others aren't going to compare it to the real thing.

The problem with the existence of fake logos is that people have used them to try to pass of non-Jacksons as real Jacksons.

Obviously not EVERYONE who gets one is using them for that, but it's safe to assume that the reason they are sold is to supply this type of fraud.

If the people making the logos were "just helping out the restoration guys", they'd offer their own restoration service and make more money at it, or set themselves up as a supplier to real restoration places to limit the possibility of fakes.

It doesn't mater that you and I sit here and see a Hondo Formula 1 on Ebay with a Jackson logo, it's the guy that sees it in the store or buys it thinking he's getting a prototype or Custom Shop Jackson for a steal and then bases his impression of ALL Jacksons on a fake.

www.best-decal.com is a great place for waterslide and rub-on decal sheets that you can use to print your own logos. No it won't look factory, but a refin/restoration should never ever look identical to a factory job, because somewhere down the line when it's changed hands a few times, someone will neglect to mention the fact that it was reworked.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I agree completely. Let's say I sold this guitar to someone that couldn't tell a real Jackson from a fake and didn't mention the headstock refin. Then they in turn tried to sell it to someone who CAN tell, and, even though it's authentic, that guy would then question it. Plus, being a bolt on, one way to tell is the neck plate, I'd assume those have been faked as well, so the headstock could start a question as to whether it's real or not. I'm sure there are many ways to tell, at least for those who know what to look for, it just makes it more difficult.

I was a bit concerned about lowering the re-sale value of the guitar by doing the refin, but in the end I don't plan to sell it anytime soon, and even if I did it's not like I would be able to retire on the proceeds whether it's refinished or not. I don't think this particular axe has any historical value to anyone but me. Plus, I could always stamp the headstock refin details in the trem cavity for historical purposes.
      Mike
      ---------
      1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
      Dean EVO "Special Select"
      Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
      Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

A little update, the project is almost done. The headstock was fairly easily sanded down to the maple (getting the black out of the grain was kind of a pain) and then pre-finished with satin lacquer before the new decal was applied. Currently the final coats of lacquer are being layed over the decal.

Mike
        ---------
        1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
        Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
        Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

Very nice.

Looks just like my refinished DR neck.
          Although it looks like you got a better quality replacement logo than mine.
          This is a mock up I did before I do the clear coat. Still not sure about keeping the logo.
          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Balrog View Post
            A little update, the project is almost done. The headstock was fairly easily sanded down to the maple (getting the black out of the grain was kind of a pain) and then pre-finished with satin lacquer before the new decal was applied. Currently the final coats of lacquer are being layed over the decal.

That looks really sweet! Great job.
            Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Thanks for the comps guys.

rjohnstone - your project looks great, black hardware on mine too. That decal looks very much like mine except the "made in USA" on mine is very thin lettering, surprising they could even cut it. I notice that there is decent space between the decal, the tuners, and upper edge of the HS on yours...my decal is a little larger than factory so it's a bit tight. The tuner washers will overlap the logo slightly, but it was that way before so no biggie.
              Mike
              ---------
              1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
              Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
              Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

All done....

Mike
                ---------
                1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
                Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
                Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  The problem with the existence of fake logos is that people have used them to try to pass of non-Jacksons as real Jacksons.

Obviously not EVERYONE who gets one is using them for that, but it's safe to assume that the reason they are sold is to supply this type of fraud.

If the people making the logos were "just helping out the restoration guys", they'd offer their own restoration service and make more money at it, or set themselves up as a supplier to real restoration places to limit the possibility of fakes.

It doesn't mater that you and I sit here and see a Hondo Formula 1 on Ebay with a Jackson logo, it's the guy that sees it in the store or buys it thinking he's getting a prototype or Custom Shop Jackson for a steal and then bases his impression of ALL Jacksons on a fake.

www.best-decal.com is a great place for waterslide and rub-on decal sheets that you can use to print your own logos. No it won't look factory, but a refin/restoration should never ever look identical to a factory job, because somewhere down the line when it's changed hands a few times, someone will neglect to mention the fact that it was reworked.
                  I disagree with this statement. We are not talking about a 57 strat big money fraud. It would not be very cost effective to fake a Jackson especially at the current prices they are going for.

Lets say someone does put a Jackson logo on a guitar. You should be able to tell right away if its a real Jackson by the neck plate and if its a neck thru it would not even be worth faking since it would cost so much to make. Also faking a neck thru would be very difficult and you could easliy tell the differnce between a cheap Chinese one and a US made one.

Fake logos are bad in that it can misrepresent the product and I agree with you there its bad in that way.

As for businesses "just helping out the restoration guys" comment, printing logos is cheap to do if you have equipment and can make a decent profit with low overhead. If I could do this I would and I would not want to start stocking other "restoration part" since that would increase my overhead costs and I could be sitting on certain parts for years waiting for a buyer. People do things for the money not nessasarly because they want or have a passion for a brand or they care about fakes hitting the market.

Bottom line is there is no profit to be made in Jackson fakes. Now early Charvels are a different story.

Comment

Looks great!
                    "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

AK47 - Valid points for sure.

stevoc - Thank you.

New pick-ups are next (first time I've tried that too). I have an e-mail in at Dimarzio with wiring questions relative to what I want to do, and if I can do it with the existing switch configuration, hopefully I'll hear back soon. If not, I'll post them on the JCF, with the knowledge base here, I'm sure someone will know.

*** Spoke too soon, Dimarzio replied back with the exact info I needed (seems pretty simple as it turns out). Great customer service!
                      Last edited by Balrog; 08-18-2008, 11:54 AM.
                      Mike
                      ---------
                      1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
                      Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
                      Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

Dimarzio is great with stuff like that, and the diagrams they send you are extremely easy to read. The bare maple headstock looks great too, where'd you get the decal?

Comment

Thanks..and you're right, the schematic is very easy to read. The decal came from Best-Decals.com.....
                          Mike
                          ---------
                          1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
                          Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
                          Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

Balrog, that looks great with a Black body and black hardware!
                            One of my fav looks are the combo of Bare headstock + Black hardware.

Glad that your refinish worked out for you. Sometimes, it's better and cheaper to do yourself.
                            Did you use spray can clearcoat? I use Rust-o-leum Laquer Clear. It dries nice and has a harder finish than enamel.

Great job!!
                            'Howling in shadows
                            Living in a lunar spell
                            He finds his heaven
                            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Wow... that really turned out sharp.
                              A+
                              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                              --floydkramer

Comment

metalchurch79 - Thank you, I used Minwax satin lacquer in the spray can. It was really easy to use and the finish looks really good in person. I dug in fairly hard with my thumb nail in the area that is hidden by the truss rod cover to see how durable it is and I was surprised at how well it did. Still not as good as poly I'm sure.

nhspike - Thanks!

I should note that this type of decal has some thickness to it, so you feel it when you run your fingers across it. It doesn't bother me so I didn't invest all the time and effort (also the risk of damaging the decal) into spraying and sanding trying to bury it.
                                Mike
                                ---------
                                1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
                                Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
                                Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

Working...
                                X