Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arch top RR with kill switch????

Hey guys

I'm not looking for info on the guitar itself, I just want to know what kind of kill switch was used? I want to get one so I can use it as a pickup selector.

and if anyone would know if just a standard push button would do the trick?

thanks

C

Yeah, a push button would work. The Scott Ian model had that. All a kill switch does it ground the pickup to shut if off. As long as the switch allows for that it will work.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Standard Push/Push switch from Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

It's not the lighted version, though. You might find that at one of the other parts dealers.

However, you might not be able to use it as a pickup selector if it's built to be On or Off, which usually means the inside of the switch automatically goes to ground to cut off signal.

You might get lucky and get one that you have to ground yourself. In that case, just wire the ground prong to the other pickup, but if the switch can't do that, you'll get sound out of both at once in one position and then just one in the other position.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc - that's a SPST switch. You want a SPDT switch. A single throw means you just cut the signal to the output jack which will hum like crazy. What you really want to do is short to ground so you need two throws .
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/634/1535.pdf

Mouser part #506-MPG106F04 should do the trick

- Newc

Comment

Thanks guys!

this is all awesome info!

now the other trick is, I'd like ti to have a light in it, so that when it's switched to the other pickup, it lights up so I know which one is on, on the dark stage!

I know that sounds lame, but It's just an idea, if I can't do it I won't lose sleep.

I'll look around with that info hippietim!

thanks!

C

Comment

Mouser has some with LEDs. Not sure if they are SPDT or not. Anything that's a DT will work, you'll just have poles you're not using. So DPDT, 3PDT, etc. will work.

- Newc

Comment

And obviously you'll need a battery (9 volt probably) to run power to the LED. It would be best to use a stereo jack to turn on the battery when the guitar is plugged in, and turn it off when unplugged...
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                  Newc - that's a SPST switch. You want a SPDT switch. A single throw means you just cut the signal to the output jack which will hum like crazy. What you really want to do is short to ground so you need two throws .
                  Not really, if you connect the jack output hot to one switch pole, and the other pole to ground, you can short the signal with a SPST.

Comment

Tommie - this is how a SPST switch works. How do I connect the wires to do what you suggest?

Last edited by hippietim; 05-29-2008, 01:32 PM.

- Newc

Comment

Oh I think i see how you do it - you'd need a normally open switch - right?

The guitar I put one in has a normally closed switch - that's why I get rude fucking hum.

- Newc

Comment

Yeah, you gotta get the right switch (normally open) or it won't ground the signal out.

All RS had was the SPST.

We've got a decent list around here for guitar hardware, but we need one for other electronic stuff like switches that are not guitar-specific but that can be used for it.

www.idec.com has tons of switches and industrial electronic/electrical parts. I've got an idea for a switch that I'm hoping they can build cheaply.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroo...ompliant-.html

this or the various switches like it would be ideal! if I didn't have to buy 20,000 hahahaha

not sure it would even work, but the concept is what I want!

C

Comment

Dunno if it'd do what you want or not, but this would look awesome.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/19...c153s316#blank
                            |My CSG gallery|
                            (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                              Tommie - this is how a SPST switch works. How do I connect the wires to do what you suggest?

Connect it in parallel to your jack socket, as easy as that!

Comment

Working...
                              X