Question about a USA Jackson strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a USA Jackson strat

I was talking to Justin at Jc's guitars and we were talking about this guitar.I love the peeling snakeskin done by GMW also I have bought from him before.The only question I am concerned about is it seems to be a mutt guitar.I'm not as educated on Jacksons as most of you guys but he said 900.00 which includes shipping and a case.I was looking at the trem cavity as well as the guitar has a Kahler locking nut and as you can see a Floyd bridge plus the neckplate is missing.Thats why I don't know if the body is an actual Jackson body.If it is or isnt I'd love to see what you folks think.I'm wondering if this is a good buy for 900.00 or if anyone might have any suggestions.Justins a nice guy and is holding it till I decide(how cool is that) but 900.00 to me is a lot of money and a USA Jackson has been out of my grasp for about 15 years since me and my wife have had 3 kids.I really wanted a soloist but I wont find one for 1000.00 so I picked one I liked.I havent done the deal but I will this week.I'm exited about getting my first one but I want to make sure I get a good buy.Please if you guys don't mind helping me out Id very much so appricate it.Heres some pics.

I can't speak for the authenticity of this particular guitar, but the Kahler style locknut & Floyd bridge combination were pretty common in the mid to late 80s. Check out the 87/88 Charvel imports for example.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I was very temped amonth ago to buy this guitar. I passed because of it not having the neck plate. I think other then that it is a legit body and neck. I think it is overpriced though.

Comment

Isn't it JT-6 studs on that thing? Like this one:

To my knowledge, Original Floyd's only come/came with one of following types of stud bolts/screws:

Last edited by jackson1; 12-29-2007, 07:20 AM.
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

The trem cavity rout looks wrong. It looks to narrow to me to be a jackosn body. And the arm bevel seems to be in a worong angle, Unless thats just the pic and reflection. The control rout looks right tho.
          Im almost thinking BC Rich body with a Jackson neck.
          Gil

Comment

I've seen Jacksons with Factory Floyds that came with hex head studs.

I can't see a recess for the trem cavity cover or any holes drilled for a cover...

Comment

that rear trem route doesnt look right to me, shouldnt there be that "Dog-leg" (golf term ) down towards the ground, so you can access the trem bar from the back?
              Out Of Ideas

Comment

i think the guitar is neat, but i think that 900 shipped is a little high, considering there's no plate, and the body is a refin (albeit done as good as factory). then again, 800 with the case, shipped wouldn't be insane, imo.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by MEX3 View Post
                  I've seen Jacksons with Factory Floyds that came with hex head studs.
                  Yes, but there are different types of hex heads. The hex heads on the guitar in question sure looks like JT-6 ones, where the hex takes up almost all of the top surface space and the sides looks tall and milled straight - not conical.
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                    Yes, but there are different types of hex heads. The hex heads on the guitar in question sure looks like JT-6 ones, where the hex takes up almost all of the top surface space and the sides looks tall and milled straight - not conical.
                    If I had a camera, I'd show you pics of my 87 with factory floyd and the jt6 style studs.

Comment

Gurrrr well I'm about to give up.I can't find a Solist for 1000.00 that anyone would do a layaway for till I get my taxes.I called and I wasnt given a straight answer about the peeling snakeskin so I told Justin to take it off hold.I like it but it's not what I,m looking for.Does anyone have any idea's on where to get a SL1 or SL2 for 1000.00?I really dont want to drop that kind of cash on Ebay.Any help would be appricated.Lol on a cops salary its kinda hard to fork out 2000.00

Comment

besides craigslist or ebay, there's not much that you're going to find for that range. we're kinda at the point now where this is becoming a WTB ad, and i know it's not your intent to circumvent the classifieds posting rules, but as an admin, i gotta point it out. one thing that you may want to check is our dealer page; some (if not all) offer 0% financing, and that may be a way to get your dream guitar.

best of luck to ya!

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

There are deals out there, but like Sully said; you're going to have to search craigslist and/or ebay for it. IF you can bump your budget up to around $1500 then you should be able to find one with little difficulty.

If raising the budget isnt a possibility then maybe you should look for an SL3; they go for right around $1k brand new and are all over ebay. I know its not the USA Soloist you're looking for but they're great guitars none-the-less. You should also consider the Charvel neck through guitars, which are also really great players. I always passed on the Charvel imports, but my recent Predator acquisition really changed my mind about them. I'm thinking about looking for a neck through charvel myself soon.

I was in the same boat with my first USA Jackson; I paid $950 for my SL1 in mint condition that I found on the bay. Mind you that I searched every day for about three months before I found what I was looking for. And in that time I passed up several really nice SL3s and the like.

Bottom line, you're gonna have to be patient and keep looking until you find one, and be ready to jump on a deal when it comes up.

-Steve
                          Last edited by UFORocks; 12-30-2007, 03:55 AM.
                          Guitars:
                          '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                          '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                          '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                          Amp:
                          VOX AD30VT

Comment

Working...
                          X