Problem with my SL1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my SL1

Hi all, this is my first post so be nice. I've been a long-time Jackson player and I own a few RR1s and King Vs. But, I have a 2007 SL1 that I bought recently and it's having the weirdest problem. When I play a note on some of the frets (most noticeably on the G string between the 9th and 21st frets), I get a weird ringing sound almost like I'm using a tremolo effect. The harder I pick the string, the louder the ringing sound is. It's very noticeable when I'm using distortion but it can still be heard clean. I originally thought it might be fret buzz so I raised the bridge really high off the fretboard and the problem was still there. I changed strings and it was still there. I then took it to a quality repair shop and they thought the guitar just needed to be set up properly, but the problem is still there after that. So now I'm thinking that maybe something is wrong with the electronics or pickups...One of my friends also has a SL1 and his guitar has the same problem (although it doesn't bug him as much as it bugs me) so I'm wondering if maybe all Soloists have this 'problem' and so I wanted to find out if anyone else knows what I'm talking about.

Does the ringing still persist with the tremolo bar off? I have the same kind of issue, but it doesn't ring with the bar out.

Comment

Yeah it sounds like some part of the bridge is vibrating.
      Scott

Comment

how about the nut slot for the G-string? Ever tried widening it? Its a bone nut so I'm not sure if you can do it yourself.

I had a SLSMG which had a similar problem. There was practically no sustain on the G string. A guitar tech widened the slots and it got better. but the guitar had a lot of other problems and I got rid of it eventually.

was I nice to you?

Welcome to the forum.
        Sam

Comment

Yeah, I tried taking the tremolo bar off but it didn't fix the ringing or make it less noticeable.

Comment

Maybe the trem springs? Try stuffing some tissue around the trem springs and see if that helps. Had to do that on my DK1.

Comment

Originally posted by RR_YJMFAN View Post
              Maybe the trem springs? Try stuffing some tissue around the trem springs and see if that helps. Had to do that on my DK1.
              wasn't there a thread on this alreadly. could be the culprit.
              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Yep that's how I remembered it.

Comment

Could be the springs or a poor soder joint thats ust picking up the noise.
                  Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

I had the same problem with mine. I just changed the springs in the back but, the tissue/foam solution will work as well.

Comment

I've been having the same problem with my SL1. I missed the last thread about the springs so I'm glad this came up. Thankfully the problem isn't so bad that it bothers me much. At least now I know what it is.

-Steve
                      Guitars:
                      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                      Amp:
                      VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                        how about the nut slot for the G-string? Ever tried widening it? Its a bone nut so I'm not sure if you can do it yourself.

I had a SLSMG which had a similar problem. There was practically no sustain on the G string. A guitar tech widened the slots and it got better. but the guitar had a lot of other problems and I got rid of it eventually.

was I nice to you?

Welcome to the forum.
                        An SL1 would not have a bone nut, and since it only happens between the 9th and 21st frets, the nut would have no bearing on it anyway.

Chances are it's sympathetic vibrations from the trem springs, though if it sounds warbly like a tremolo amp effect, I'd say the string was grazing the next highest fret.

If muting the springs doesn't stop it, and muting the strings between the nut and tuners doesn't stop it, try removing the knobs and wrapping them in a washcloth as the washers might be loose.

Also the metal backplates may be causing it.

I doubt it would be a loose nut on the tuners, but check anyway.

If none of that works, then have someone dress the 10th-22nd frets using the preceeding fretted notes as a guide.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnski View Post
                          I then took it to a quality repair shop and they thought the guitar just needed to be set up properly, but the problem is still there after that.

If it turns out to be the trem springs, and I agree that it most likely will, you need to see about getting your money back, or at least some of it. Any tech who knows anything about floyded guitars (or v-trem for that matter) should have been all over it within minutes.

Comment

i'm with newc; check the screws on the backplates. make sure they're not loose.

sully
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Am I the only one who has a problem with the fact that these high end guitars, brand new, have these sorts of issues? When I buy a new guitar, I should not have to take a screw driver or anything else to it, other than to adjust the bridge for action, and possibly the truss rod if you're that specific.

Comment

Working...
                              X