Soloist Re-fret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist Re-fret

Just curious, has anyone ever had to re-fret a soloist? What could one expect to pay? Also how difficult is it with the binding and all? Does the binding have to be removed? Will it be noticeable afterwards? I know it all depends on the luthier but generally speaking?

Thanks

Yes, they have been re-fretted.
    As far as the binding... well... do your frets currently go over the binding?
    (or do the frets stop short of the binding, and the binding is basically "carved" into a fret-shaped-profile)?
    If so, you need to decide if you want to keep that look.
    That can be an expensive look (only because it takes more time).
    If you just want new frets (remove the old frets, level the fretboard/binding, install new frets) that's less $.
    It depends on what you have, and what you want.
    But, it's been done.
    A time or two, either way.
    Last edited by nhspike; 11-17-2007, 09:59 PM.
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

I have an 86 soloist and the frets are fine so no I have not refretted a soloist.I have refretted many Les Pauls and its not hard to refret and no the binding does not have to come off.
      I charge $8.00 a fret for no binding and $10.00 a fret for bound necks and yes I'm very busy.Total refret usually runs $150.00 - $175.00.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Does the binding have to be removed?
        If the luthier is any good, NO. Frets over bindings has alwasy been a very common thing (look at gibson les paul's either the "re-issue" things or old 1950's junk or preferably the new stuff, you'll see what i mean), early kramers (high end), ibanez'es(sp?) 90's yamaha's & whatnot.

Anyway, i feel that frets-over-binding is an art you have to develop as a luthier, and if you don't have it, you just don't qualify as a luthier, period (sorry those offended, but it's just the truth imho)
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Well if you refret a guitar with binding and it has the nibs at each fret its a pain in the ass when you refret so I just cut the nibs off.If you replace the binding its not hard to trim the binding and shape nibs at the end of each fret.

Comment

when do you decide its time for a refret? When pits start showing up? My guitar teacher had a 80's fender that he absolutely loved. Almost all its frets had pits under the strings. but still he was able to play EVH licks like there was nothing wrong with the guitar or the frets.
            Sam

Comment

When you start getting grooves just recrown the frets and keep playing.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                I have an 86 soloist and the frets are fine so no I have not refretted a soloist.I have refretted many Les Pauls and its not hard to refret and no the binding does not have to come off.
                I charge $8.00 a fret for no binding and $10.00 a fret for bound necks and yes I'm very busy.Total refret usually runs $150.00 - $175.00.
                Do you do Stainless Steel frets? I know they eat up the tools pretty fast!!

Jack

Comment

Refretting a bound neck is tricky due to possible damage to the finish on the side of the neck when filing to final dimension after the fret is installed. It is tougher to try to cut the fret to exact length and get it in with out having to trim and file to final shape. Jackson frets are installed before final topcoat and sometimes when removing the frets you can pop little sections of the polyester. Hopefully the popped paint doesnt go to color coat and just stayes in the area of the binding. That becomes a royal pain in the ass at times. You can take a blade and separate the build up of the factory finish at the end of the fret overhang near the binding. That is tricky in itself as well. Good fret and finish on a bound neck needs to be left to those who have the experience. It is a lot tougher than refretting a non bound un finished neck.
                  Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                  http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Thanks for the info Mike and everyone else

Comment

I guess an unfinished maple neck with the open face as the fret board is the easiest to refret?
                      EVH style

Comment

found a lot of info on this page

http://www.richbeckguitars.com/FretGuide.htm
                        Sam

Comment

I guess an unfinished maple neck with the open face as the fret board is the easiest to refret?
                          I think rosewood fretboards are the easiest to refret since the wood is softer.

Comment

Working...
                          X