1989 "Vintage Style" Custom Shop Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 "Vintage Style" Custom Shop Jackson

As most of you know, I bought dpivar's black Jackson w/ebony fretboard recently... and can't wait until it gets here!
    I've been somewhat confused as to what to call it...
    I know it's an Ontario something but...

Is it a strat (no, too skinny, edges too sharp)?

Is it a dinky (no, too fat at the base of the horns)?

I think I've found the answer in the 1989 catalog scans.

It's neither.

It's what they seem to have offered this last "custom shop only" year as an option known as "Vintage Style" bodies.

You have to look at page 6 and page 7, but you'll notice that although the girl on the beach graphic has a reverse headstock option, the body looks substantially thicker in the base of the horns than the "Dinky" pictured next to it.

May seem like a small issue to most of you, but it's been driving me batsh*t!!!

Anyone else think there's a difference between a "vintage style" and a "dinky style"?

Seems like the 1989 "Vintage Style" guitars blur the lines between "Strat" bodies and "Dinky" bodies.

I've not heard much discussion in this forum regarding that... your thoughts?

This may have already been covered in the past... sorry if it has.

That's why I'm here... to consult with the experts to whom detail matters!

Cheers!
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Are you positive your guitar isn't just a full-size strat?

Comment

I posted pics of it, and felt kinda dumb doing it, since I was a new member the other day, and dpivar had already posted them here.
      hehehe
      Check it out.
      --floydkramer

Comment

Your guitar is definitely a Dinky. You're just getting confused by the different body shapes of 22 vs. 24 fret Dinkys. They are not the same. 22 fret Dinkys have shorter/stubbier horns.

As to that catalog page "Vinatge Style" = full-sized strat body. They just used a different name back then to avoid Fender's lawyers. ...Then again, Fender's lawyers now use a different name ("San Dimas") to differentiate it from the Fender Strat body.

Comment

I count 22 on each
          --floydkramer

Comment

I want some "Vintage Style"s... Love those.

Comment

Lightning Sky will always have my heart, but that Joker fiddle looks sweet as well.

Comment

although the vintage styles do have the thick ebony/rosewood fretboard in common with your guitar...
                -Adam

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                  I count 22 on each
                  You're not understanding. 22 fret Dinkys have slightly different body shapes than 24 fret Dinkys. The flyer is only showing you 22 fret Strats ("Vintage Style") and 22 fret Dinkys. You have the latter. Not shown are 24 fret Dinkys - look at a PC1 or DK1 pic for reference.

The pics in the old thread of your guitar are clearly a 22 fret Dinky. That's your answer.

Comment

shreddermon,
                    Oh, OK, I getcha... thanks for the clarification.
                    Well, that's why I'm a... right?

--floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                    X