Serial Number for USA Jackson KV2...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial Number for USA Jackson KV2...

Dudes, I bought an all black KV2 about a year ago, right? First off, I'll say this much about my first impression of USA made Jacksons: ugh. I made the mistake of ordering online. Now I'll justify this by saying my then-bandmate also had a KV2 (pre-Fender if that actually makes a difference, price aside) and it played and looked phenominal. He had me sold on it from the get-go so I decided I'd order one in black to adhere to my budget.

I opened it for the first time and right off the bat noticed many flaws, namely the thin crack that ran across the whole fretboard as well as some dried glue seeping from the inlays. I was pissed. Also, when I unscrewed the backplate to adjust the spring tension I noticed the inside of the guitar had been left unpainted. In a matter of weeks the crack on the fretboard had grown considerably in size and even branched out so I figured it was time to send it on back and get a replacement.

This new guitar plays and looks wonderful. I did, however, damage the wings. I sent her to a good friend of mine for a bit of rebuilding and a new paint job (white with black bevels, looks incredible) and when I swung by to pick it up he said he'd noticed while repainting that the sticker in the spring cavity was marked either 05 or 06, but it was slapped on top of a sticker that was marked 02. He also said he was certain it wasn't the first time the guitar had been repainted. Now I'd like to look a little into this, perhaps even reem the company I purchased from. If anyone could identify this guitar it'd be greatly appreciated. The serial number is U17193.

Thanks much.

That should be an 06

Sorry to hear abour your troubles
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

could those 05 or 06 numbers be a color code? Just a thought.
      Gil

Comment

Did you buy it new from an authorized dealership? And do you work for ESPee? Or some other company like Ibeenhad? A lot of threads lately complaining about Jackson guitars get posted and it makes me wonder...
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Sounds a bit odd to me.
          I've heard of ebony cracks and QC-issues but not in THAT dimensions...
          Possibly the 05/06-thingy could mean anything but not the year.

Comment

I worked for a guitar shop about a year ago that dealt namely with ESPs, but I'm not biased towards one or the other. As stated above, my new Jackson plays wonderfully and I couldn't find a single cosmetic flaw aside from chips and smudges resulting from heavy usage by your's truly. I actually feel Jackson and Dean make some of the most gorgeous guitars around (though I don't own a Dean). I was actually prying for opinions regarding pre-post Fender, and maybe gathering a little information about my guitar for my own peronsal use. I've heard people say quality has gone way downhill since the Fender buyout and others say it's a marketing ploy to push used gear. Just curious.

Thanks for the welcome, though...

Comment

Oh yeah, welcome!

I've a KV2 that shows a little minor crack 1,5 cm) in the ebony, so this is really nothing new to me...

There are two things that can explain your trouble:
              - you are an really unlucky guy with a huge qc-screw up (the inlay/fretboard-thing... etc)
              - The guitar has suffered a lot on its way to you.
              Or both

Anyways enjoy your new KV2

Comment

I wouldn't mind getting some advice on set-ups and what not. I was browsing through the Tech forum but there's just too many damn pages to sort through. I learned how to fret at my old job but I olny did it once, and I didn't do a full board, so that's a lot of time wasted. I've already worn the frets a bit, and I think that may be affecting the set-up process. I'll post my questions in the corresponding forum.

Comment

Originally posted by FatalTragedy View Post
                  I wouldn't mind getting some advice on set-ups and what not. I was browsing through the Tech forum but there's just too many damn pages to sort through. I learned how to fret at my old job but I olny did it once, and I didn't do a full board, so that's a lot of time wasted. I've already worn the frets a bit, and I think that may be affecting the set-up process. I'll post my questions in the corresponding forum.
                  If you can't get the action as low as it used to be or your having buzzing at awkward frets than you might want to have some fretwork done, whether it be leveling or a refret. It all depends on how bad it's annoying you, or hurting your playing. A lot of the times when you read tutorials about set ups, the author will whip out a ruler and judge it by that. I try to make the lower frets, 1-4, (this tells when the truss rod is too tight) and the higher frets, 15-18, buzz (this tells you the bridge is too low) at around the same time, and then I back off the bridge height a bit. Don't adjust the truss rod too much in one day (1/4 turn, 1/8 turn) and rely on lowering the bridge to identify the buzzing. Set-ups requiring truss rod adjustments can take up to a couple days depending on the last time the guitar was set up. Also if you have consistent buzzing in the middle of the fretboard that's a serious issue. It shouldn't ever happen, but I guarantee it has from some newb tightening the truss rod too tight. I'm just waiting for them to invent frets made of something that doesn't wear down so fast, of course this might cause more string breakage...
                  Last edited by anuske9; 10-25-2007, 05:09 PM.
                  -Adam

Comment

Thanks (I'm not sure what to call you) Anus, that was the best response I've gotten yet regarding truss rod adjustments, including what I've heard so far in the Tech section.

Did medium frets always come standard on KV2's, or were they built with jumbo frets at one point? I was just remembering how much differently my bud's KV2 fretted. A lot easier to fret notes but his action didn't seem much lower.
                    Last edited by FatalTragedy; 10-25-2007, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks (I'm not sure what to call you) Anus
                      :ROTF:, No wonder I don't get no respect... My names Adam, btw.
                      Last edited by anuske9; 10-25-2007, 05:27 PM.
                      -Adam

Comment

Model name: KV2 King V

Series: USA Select series

Number of frets: 22 jumbo frets

???

I did notice some of the older ones did have medium frets but I'm not an expert
                        Last edited by anuske9; 10-25-2007, 05:37 PM.
                        -Adam

Comment

Well my guess is 2001. It's no different than mine as far as I can tell except it has the Pile of Skulls finish and it's a pre-Fender model. Also, it has JB's, as opposed to the TB that comes standard now, as well as a 5-way switch instead of the 3-way I have. Has me curious but I'm not sure it merits a seperate thread,

Comment

Well my guess is 2001. It's no different than mine as far as I can tell except it has the Pile of Skulls finish and it's a pre-Fender model. Also, it has JB's, as opposed to the TB that comes standard now, as well as a 5-way switch instead of the 3-way I have. Has me curious but I'm not sure it merits a seperate thread,
                            They're still JBs... the TB stands for Trembucker spacing. And if it's got a five-way switch, someone replaced it aftermarket.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              They're still JBs... the TB stands for Trembucker spacing.
                              Well I'll be dipped in shit. I have a pair of Dimarzios thrown in there. Shows how much I know about Duncans. Haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X