Quality Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality Control

I sent my SL1 to a luthier to have the nut centred since Jackson seemed to fail in this task (nut was all the way to the treble side, high e often went off the frets), and it's now like a completely different guitar...it's incredible. Job cost me £75 (incl. a set-up and light fret-stoning), which is reasonable but not insignificant.

It's a 2003 - and although it plays impeccably now - the QC issue is somewhat perturbing when it comes to buying another US Jackson. Is this kind of crippling problem commonplace? I'm assuming not, but given that the guitar played well before the job, I wonder if this kind of thing goes unnoticed to some...

IMO not even slightly a common problem. First ive heard of this on a USA
    Jackson.. glad it turned out well for you! Rare i think...imo

Comment

KMud
      If I'm getting you right, this is a common problem, that the treble string is too close to the edge. I've seen it on many jacksons and I actually one that is that way. I didn't know that you could fix it that way.
      But my understanding was that the binding on the treble side was a bit too thin (you could see this where the binding meets the nut, that there's a bit of a gap that shouldn't be there. The transition from binding to to nut should be seamless but it's not on mine. The binding looks a bit recessed before joining up with the nut (it's a bit difficult to explain this without showing it in person), so I always thought the binding is a bit thin but it might be as you say that instead, the nut is a bit too much to the edge.
      Any how thanks for letting me of what you did. That might be the solution for me too.
      I've seen a lot of pics on the net of jacksons suffering from this and keeps me away from them.

Comment

My 2006 SL1 has the same problem and I was really disappointed when I discovered this. Really annoying when you're trying to do legato trills on the first string. Didn't know it could be solved that easily. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

So, is this a common problem? does Jackson have any other QC issues now? If so I might order a Custom ESP V instead of the King V .

Comment

Happened on my WR1 too. E string kept slipping off and catching on the third fret but its easily fixed. No problems with my other Jackson USA's though. I dont think its all that common.

I would still have a KV2 though and I love ESP's.
            Last edited by Mazrim; 10-18-2007, 06:42 AM.
            All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
              My 2006 SL1 has the same problem and I was really disappointed when I discovered this. Really annoying when you're trying to do legato trills on the first string. Didn't know it could be solved that easily. Thanks for the tip!
              I'm not sure about easy, but the luthier filled and redrilled the holes...it sounds easy, but I'm just ignorant. I really trust my local luthier, wouldn't want a novice drilling holes in my (guitar's) neck!

ilbianconero, I think I get what you mean...the flat the nut sits on is wider than the nut on mine. I don't know whether that's because of the binding or not.

Comment

There have been numerous posts over the last year on QC issues with both Jackson and Charvel guitars. (you can do a search on this) From what I can remember, the nut issue was never mentioned.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I had a brand new USA BC Rich that had that issue, so it's not only Jacksons. The neck had to be redrilled, not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                    There have been numerous posts over the last year on QC issues with both Jackson and Charvel guitars. (you can do a search on this) From what I can remember, the nut issue was never mentioned.
                    I did search, but as you said an off-centre nut isn't commonly mentioned, and as I said I wasn't sure if this was an often overlooked issue or a complete non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by KMud View Post
                      I sent my SL1 to a luthier to have the nut centred since Jackson seemed to fail in this task (nut was all the way to the treble side, high e often went off the frets), and it's now like a completely different guitar...it's incredible. Job cost me £75 (incl. a set-up and light fret-stoning), which is reasonable but not insignificant.

It's a 2003 - and although it plays impeccably now - the QC issue is somewhat perturbing when it comes to buying another US Jackson. Is this kind of crippling problem commonplace? I'm assuming not, but given that the guitar played well before the job, I wonder if this kind of thing goes unnoticed to some...
                      Was this guitar bought new or used?

I have a DK2 where the original chrome nut was properly centered. I changed the hardware to gold and the nut I bought was off center just like you described. Not enough to make it worth getting fixed.

So that question is, since you most likely have a used (2003) guitar, would it not be possible that the hardware is not original?

Comment

It was used, but excepting a pickup change, I was assured it was all stock. The previous owner was a guitar teacher who got it to keep his students of metal happy, so I don't believe he wanted to tinker...but it's certainly a possibility.

Comment

i have the same problem with my 85 soloist custom, the high e is VERY close to the edge of the fret board

Comment

Consider yourselves lucky. Most of the time it's the bridge position that was off center. Much more difficult to fix. I think the nut off center is kind of rare, but bridges used to be fairly common.

Comment

Well nevermind my post! Obviously i was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X