Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL1T Neck pickup

Hello

I did a search sort of but its a very vague combination and yielded a lot of threads.
    Does the stock neck pickup in a SL1T yield the same sort of warmness and fullness that a neck pup of humbucker size does in a SL2HT? If not, is there any pickup recommended for the full size humbucker sound?
    I am sort of accepting a SL1HT because I could not find a SL2HT in trans black. Also, why is it called a SL1T and not a SL1HT?
    If the serial number is U15xx, is it a US made SL1T?

thanks
    Sam

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
    Also, why is it called a SL1T and not a SL1HT?
    Well, an SL1 is H/S/S with a Floyd, so the new model with the fixed TOM bridge gets the T designation.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, i understand that part. But why does the SL2 Have an additional H in the name? SL1T, SL2T... why SL2HT?

Anyway, name does not matter, but to make a decision, I want to know if I will ever be able to get the warmth and full ness of a Humucker size neck pickup with the single coil of the SL1T.

thanks
      Sam

Comment

H is for humbucker

and as far as neck pup tone, what bucketass said; it's not going to sound like a humbucker unless you get some sort of humbucker-in-single-coil-size put in there (and even then, it won't be _quite_ the same; but will probably be close enough)

Comment

ok, thanks guys. Since I'm playing thru a 5150, I'm gonna take a chance and get the SL1T in trans black while I still can. Anything sounds good thru a 5150. LOL. at least for my ears its does...
          Sam

Comment

The stock neck pickup in that should be a Duncan STK-S4 classic stack 'humbucking' pickup according to specs on Jackson's website (I have one in my SL1). According to Duncan's site, this was created to 'remove hum and preserve traditional single coil tone'. It's design rejects hum. So while it's a 'humbucker' it's not one in the normal sense as its a single w/hum canceling, so it won't give you the sound you are looking for.

As Yabba said, best to search Duncan/Dimarzio and see what single coil sized true humbuckers they make. You can read the description and compare specs (and in some cases listen to sound samples) to see which one would fit the bill best.

The SL2HT you mention comes with a neck '59 SH1N humbucker. Check out the specs from Duncan's tone chart (DC resistance, magnet, tone chart) for the '59 and see which single coil sized humbucker matches the closest.

Comment

the auction ended before I got a chance to outbid. I dont have a chance to get my transparent black jackson!!!!
              Sam

Comment

the auction ended before I got a chance to outbid. I dont have a chance to get my transparent black jackson!!!!
                Are you talking about this auction?:
                http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-SL1T-w-C...QQcmdZViewItem

The seller ended it early as its no longer available for sale. So not sure what you mean about you not having a chance to outbid, as none of the bidders apparently got it!

Comment

Yes, i understand that part. But why does the SL2 Have an additional H in the name?
                  Well, there was actually a USA model called the SL2... it was like the SL2H, just it had import hardware, Armstrong pickups, no inlays and black binding.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                    The stock neck pickup in that should be a Duncan STK-S4 classic stack
                    Unless this has changed recently they are still being made with STK-1 Classic Stacks which SD is producing as an OEM part for Jackson. I asked JCmarketingguy this a while ago and he said they hadn't decided if they would switch to the STK-4 Classic Stack Plus (which by most accounts is the best noiseless vintage single coil sounding pickup yet).

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemonster2 View Post
                      Unless this has changed recently they are still being made with STK-1 Classic Stacks which SD is producing as an OEM part for Jackson. I asked JCmarketingguy this a while ago and he said they hadn't decided if they would switch to the STK-4 Classic Stack Plus (which by most accounts is the best noiseless vintage single coil sounding pickup yet).
                      Yep, I forgot about that! thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X