Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks RJ!

Comment

I have to disagree with rjohnstone. I reccommend the wax. Every 3 months or so, I use Murphy's oil soap to clean. Then let all dry and use the Birchwood Casey Gunstock oil. Then wipe all excess off and finally apply the Birchwood Casey wax.

This is recommended by Ernie Ball Music Man for their unfinished maple neck guitars and has worked great for me.

Check out the Ernie Ball Music Man forums...MANY threads on cleaning and maintaining unfinished maple necks and fingerboards.
      "What's all this lying around shit!!" - Bluto

Comment

Wax = build-up of dirt.
        It also changes the "feel" of an oiled neck and can get sticky.
        I've seen the threads you speak of and I'll have to agree to disagree with you on the subject.
        Wax is for furniture, not guitar necks.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          Wax = build-up of dirt.
          It also changes the "feel" of an oiled neck and can get sticky.
          I've seen the threads you speak of and I'll have to agree to disagree with you on the subject.
          Wax is for furniture, not guitar necks.
          +1 I'll have to agree on this one
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Heh I'm very much hated on the EBMM forums...

I've got a number of Musicman instruments and never experienced the sticky neck but they do get quite dirty. Gotta admit a properly done oil/wax finish is very nice. I'll try using just the oil first.

Comment

potato - potawto

I haven't had any waxy build up on mine...I guess it just depends how heavy you apply the wax. I may have to forego the wax next time. I have been using it because it was reccommended by EBMM.

The most important part is the regular cleaning and oil. Also, I keep a tub of wet wipes handy and quick clean my hands before I play. Just keeps the maple fingerboards & strings cleaner.
              "What's all this lying around shit!!" - Bluto

Comment

Originally posted by Mesaboog View Post
                The most important part is the regular cleaning and oil. Also, I keep a tub of wet wipes handy and quick clean my hands before I play. Just keeps the maple fingerboards & strings cleaner.
                This is very true... regular cleaning ( I clean the neck and board with every string change) and wash up before playing will help keep any neck looking good for a long time.
                -Rick

Comment

Working...
                X