PC1 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC1 Question

I recently got my Natural PC1 that I ordered less than 6 months ago. Way to go Jackson!! Anyway, I have the Solar and now the Natural and both have amazing quilt tops and both are great guitars. However, I noticed one slight difference between the two. The top of the trem plate on the Solar is level with the top of the guitar as with most of my guitars. On my Natural, the Floyd Rose plate actually sits above (maybe 3/16) the top of the guitar. It's kind of difficult to describe but it's kind of weird. It just sits higher than normal or than what I am used to. The set ups on both are fine. If I'm making any sense, would anyone know why they would do this?
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

All Jacksons get shipped with a pretty basic setup. They are pretty consistant, however they are setup by people, not machines.
    There will be slight variations.
    If it bothers you, take it to your local guitar tech and have him tweak it.
    -Rick

Comment

This is not something that can be tweaked. The cavity that the bridge sits in is actually higher than my other PC1. The set up is still the same but for some reason the trem just sits higher on this one. Pics would probably help describe this but it's really not worth the time. Everything works fine. It's just a little different.
      "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
      I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Sounds like the one with the 3/16" above the top of the guitar need to go down (posts screwed down, thus lowering the action). Is the action high on that one? The recessed trem cavities were designed so you have have the bridge plate flush with the top of the body. Did your dealer do a setup on your new one?

I'd check under the saddles to see if you have a difference in the thickness of the shim or if more than one shim was used on either guitar.
        Last edited by Bengal65; 05-03-2006, 11:05 PM.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I guess pics would probably help.
          I've seen the variations from one year to the next in the routing of the exact same model, so anything is possible.
          -Rick

Comment

Sounds like just a slightly different set-up. Not a problem at all. And, yes, it most certainly can be tweaked by yourself or a local tech.

I just received a new PC1 a couple of weeks ago myself. Unlike most Jacksons, they come standard with 10 gauge strings. I prefer 9s, so just swapped them out. Because 9s have less string tension, this required tweaking the trem claw screws, etc. to get the bridge to sit back flush near the body where it was before with the 10s. A half hour or so of back and forth between tweaking the screws and retuning the Floyd over and over again until it was back to the original position.

If only the back end of your bridge is higher, than it sounds like it needs this. If the whole bridge - front and back - is slightly higher, then I'd leave it like it is. Otherwise, you might need to shim the neck to lower the bridge. And, IMHO, a very minor difference in set-ups like you describe isn't worth going to that level of change. It's fine as is.

Comment

Working...
            X