Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling the trigger on a SL2H-MAH - newbe questions

Players,
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a SL2H-MAH and unfortunately I cannot play it before I buy. Soooooo . . . I have a few questions that I'm hoping you could help me out with:

1) What is the real difference between a recessed and a non-recessed Floyd? Is it just how high the strings are off the body of the axe?

2) Are the necks on these models the same as regular USA soloists? I just want to make sure the mahogany neck is cut the same.

3) How heavy are these guitars generally? Would they be in the same range as a Les Paul?

4) Are the mahogany soloists hard to come by? Dosen't seem like there are alot out there.

5) When did Jackson stop using the Cabo finish on these guitars? I understand this is a discontinued color . . .

All help and input is appreciated!!

If you can land yourself a SLATQH (one went off at 1300 on EBAY yesterday) then you not only have a mahogany body with a mahogany neck but a 3/4 inch maple top.

Comment

Originally posted by haymaker
      Players,
      I'm about to pull the trigger on a SL2H-MAH and unfortunately I cannot play it before I buy. Soooooo . . . I have a few questions that I'm hoping you could help me out with:

1) What is the real difference between a recessed and a non-recessed Floyd? Is it just how high the strings are off the body of the axe?

None really, except the recessed allows the bridge to be lower thus the strings closer to the body. The neck, is angled on a non-recessed Floyd to compensate for the higher mount bridge.

2) Are the necks on these models the same as regular USA soloists? I just want to make sure the mahogany neck is cut the same.

Very close, if not the same.

3) How heavy are these guitars generally? Would they be in the same range as a Les Paul?

Lighter, although I haven't weighed them to compare, but feel is lighter.

4) Are the mahogany soloists hard to come by? Dosen't seem like there are alot out there.

Not many were made as compared to the other Soloists.

5) When did Jackson stop using the Cabo finish on these guitars? I understand this is a discontinued color . . .

The end of 2005, I believe.

All help and input is appreciated!!
      The above is based on knowledge from ownership and this forum. Best IMO!
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by danastas
        If you can land yourself a SLATQH (one went off at 1300 on EBAY yesterday) then you not only have a mahogany body with a mahogany neck but a 3/4 inch maple top.
        Wow, dunno how I missed that one. But $1300 is not the average price those things go for. Heck, the last one I saw sold for like $1800 I think?

-a

Comment

what finish are you getting?

Comment

Originally posted by HoWheels
            Wow, dunno how I missed that one. But $1300 is not the average price those things go for. Heck, the last one I saw sold for like $1800 I think?

-a
            The SLATQHs really range. I've seen everything from $1200 to $1900 in the last month. My guess? $1550 is the sweet spot.

I've seen some brand new ones being sold by retailers at a VERY decent price.

Comment

Well, I got a KE2 Kelly. The neck is small, not too small, like some Ibanez guitars, but you can shred like there's no tomorrow. The soloist wouldnt be neck heavy like the KE2, which is not a problem at all anyway. The neck finish is not sticky at all, like some others, and is almost as smooth as wood. It surprised me.
              As for weight, my dad has a Gibson Les Paul (77 or 78?) and it is much heavier than my Jackson, especially the body. It is just a guitar I can't play too long or I get cramps and pains. The Jackson you can play forever.

Hope that helps...

Comment

Originally posted by danastas
                The SLATQHs really range. I've seen everything from $1200 to $1900 in the last month. My guess? $1550 is the sweet spot.

I've seen some brand new ones being sold by retailers at a VERY decent price.
                1550?
                are you talking new ones or used ones?

Comment

Originally posted by withmyshadow
                  what finish are you getting?
                  I'm getting the only that I can find that's currently available. It's cabo. Real sweet looking, but I'd 'prefer' trans-black. So what though, the cash is burning a hole in my pocket and if I don't buy soon, the money is gonna be spent on . . . well, probably something more important than another guitar. But I've been droolin' over a SL2H-MAH for some time now and I have a very acute case of GAS!

Jacksonesp, thanks for your take on the neck's finish and the weight. That's what's got me looking for another axe. My current #1 is heavy as hell with a very sticky neck once I get'er groovin'.

Just saw a natural SLATQH go on tha'bay for $1500. Was seriously considering that one . . . but I'm wanting the Floyd!

Comment

I have a SLATQH, it is noticably lighter than my LP custom which weighs in around 10.5 lbs. The neck never had a sticky break in period like the nitro finished guitars do. It has been a dream to play from day 1. The LP seemed to take the better part of a year of playing to cure but is fine now. Is your sticky neck, heavy guitar a new LP? If so it should settle down for you.

Comment

Originally posted by withmyshadow
                      1550?
                      are you talking new ones or used ones?
                      A new one sold early this week for $1500

Comment

1) Non-recessed FR is used on the guitars with angled back neck. But I doubt that standard SL2H-MAH has non-recessed FR.

2) USA Jackson necks are hand-crafted, so the neck profile may vary slightly between certain guitars of the same model. But in general the specs for MAH are the same as for other SL models.

3) Compared to regular SL2H it is noticeable more lightweight (because maple neck/center block weighs musch more than mahogany). Compared to average LP it weighs less as well, IMHO.

4) They are pretty rare compared to regular ones.
                        Because I don't say it
                        Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego
                          I have a SLATQH, it is noticably lighter than my LP custom which weighs in around 10.5 lbs. The neck never had a sticky break in period like the nitro finished guitars do. It has been a dream to play from day 1. The LP seemed to take the better part of a year of playing to cure but is fine now. Is your sticky neck, heavy guitar a new LP? If so it should settle down for you.
                          Yep! You nailed it! My heavy-azz sticky neck #1 is a LP custom. It has settled down since I bought it new in '03. But, she still gets a touch sticky when she warms up.

I may be settling back down to earth on my hair trigger. I've been in contact with a few of the forum dealers here and it seems that even though they don't have any in stock, they have them on order and I can place a deposit. Right now, it's all depending on when they'll be receiving their shipment from jackson. If it's like 6 months then I'll probably be snagging up that Cabo one that is currently available. If it's like another month or so . . . I'll be holding out for the trans-black. Oh gawd yeah!

Thanks everyone for all of your replies!!

Comment

Good choice and good luck bro!! Jack.

Comment

Working...
                            X