No announcement yet.

Super strat 1987 in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I have some USA strat from similar time and its maple. Weights much more than alder guitars.
    Maple is very nice for killer riffs. Has some BITE and sound is fuller than alder IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by -Boris-
      Yeah, I have some USA strat from similar time and its maple. Weights much more than alder guitars.
      Maple is very nice for killer riffs. Has some BITE and sound is fuller than alder IMO.

My 1987 is really heavy too. Its an easy 2lbs heavier than my other alder bodied guitars. Hmm.....

Comment

Pull the neck off and take a look.I'm sure you could order a maple body back then.It would be interesting to see how many maple bodied SD plated supers we could find.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I like this crackle finish more than the busy ones... Nice!

Comment

How do you really know if a guitar has a maple body by taking off the neck? Sure if it's flamed in the pocket, that gives it away, but otherwise? A lot of other woods seem to have a similar color.

Comment

Most guitar woods are different enough to tell very easily based on color and grain. Mahog is reddish brown, or brown. Maple is almost white with very little brown grain, alder is a lighter brown than mahog, ash is almost white like maple, but has a lot of brown streaking and large pores, bass is very similar looking to maple, but is very light weight, so you cant confuse it with a maple body.

If you cant figure which wood it is based on my description, post a pic.

Comment

+1.Maple and basswood look similar but the weight is MUCH different.Sometimes basswood will have green streaks in the grain.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                X