USA Jacksons played live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Jacksons played live

Well, i played a gig the other day supporting two bands. The guitarist in one band was using an Ibanez RG and a Jackson RR1. Now when he used the Ibanez you could hardly hear him in the mix. Really muffled and bassy you could only make out the solos. When he pulled out his RR1 (tuned slightly lower than his Ibanez) he cut through the mix a hell of alot better. You could hear everything he was playing. Do the guys who own USA Jacksons find the same thing happens to them with their guitars?
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

I don't think it has as much to do with the name brand as it does the wood and pickups in a guitar. There are so many variables (fretboard wood, neck wood, body wood, the top wood, pickups, Floyd or hardtail or string thru).

At one gig, I used a USA Dinky (alder body, maple-maple neck, floyd and a Dimarzio Super 3). I also used an SLATQH, with mahogany body neck, ebony board, String thru with a SD Custom 5 in the bridge). I was told that the SLATQH had a much better tone than the Dinky, but the Dinky cut through the mix much better.

To my ears, Ibanez guitars usually sound a little on the thin side. I've had a few and have played with players that love em. It seems like you really have to crank it up to get them in the mix. That being said, I think it's mostly materials that come into play as with my USA Dinky.
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I definitely notice (or rather *don't* notice) when bands use Ibanez guitars. We share our practice space with a grindcore band, with one guitarist using an Ibanez RG neck-thru and the other using a Dean EVO Phantom (aka EVO Noir) that he bought from me. Regardless of what amps they use at practice and at gigs, I can hear the mahogany Dean quite clearly, and very little of the Ibanez. Not sure what the exact model of the RG is, but it doesn't cut through at all. It's also apparent with other bands I've seen or played with, including a band with one guitarist playing a Jem and the other playing a Jackson RR-3.

I can't hold basswood responsible, because I have many basswood Jacksons and cut through just fine. My brother (rhythm guitarist) and I both use pedalboards through Peavey tube amps and Jackson or Charvel guitars with passive pickups.
      sigpic

Comment

Different guitars sound different through a variety of amps man, so switching from one guitar to another with the same amp settings can do that. I do find my USA Jackson was great through my POD XTL on certain patches, but when I switched guitars I had to tweak the patches differently for it to cut through and come across the same way

Comment

Originally posted by sambencuda
          I don't think it has as much to do with the name brand as it does the wood and pickups in a guitar. There are so many variables (fretboard wood, neck wood, body wood, the top wood, pickups, Floyd or hardtail or string thru).
          +1
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

His amp must have screwed up when he had the Ibanez plugged in.
            He must of sorted it out when he started using the RR1.

I have both Ibanez and Jackson guitars and with the proper pickups they both sound great.

So... to answer your question of whether my USA Jackson guitars cut through better than my Ibanez guitars I will answer with a NO.
            BTW... I have many guitars. They all cut through the mix with no problems.For instance: my Charvel 275dlx with an 18v EMG system in it and my Washburn N2 with a Lawrence L500XL in it.

I also have a 1991 Ibanez RBM1 with a Dimarzio Megadrive in it that can peel the paint off the wall and a 1987 Jackson USA Strat with a PAF Pro that is super loud.

It all depends on body wood and pickup selection. Choose the right combination and you'll have no problem cutting through a mix.

Comment

Electronics problem in the Ibeenhad? Bad pups, loose screw, loose wire....
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

most bands ive seen that play heavy metal on ibanez's usually have the worst tone, regardless of what amps they are using. those guitars just sound like plastic

Comment

Working...
                X