Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JA0072 - the story continues.. what to do next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JA0072 - the story continues.. what to do next?

right.. I'm looking at my options:

1) I find someone willing/capable to restore this guitar:
    issues:
    - top has split at the center
    - tip of the headstock needs to be repaired w/binding
    - full refret needed
    - back & front of body scratches need to be buffed out
    - dents, chips and deep scratches at the back needs to be touched up
    - binding on the neck (and body?) needs to be replaced
    - corroded HW needs to be replaced

now, I don't have hardly the experience to take this full on, so I wonder who you would recommend?
    If anyone here is willing to give it a shot, feel free to sollicitate.

2) I sell it off to someone who is willing to restore it for their own means

more detailled pics to be found at http://itos.dyndns.org:8380/temp/

the guitar itself still plays good btw, and I would love to see it restored back to full (?) glory.

Re: JA0072 - the story continues.. what to do next

Even in that shape, she looks gorgeous, if it were mine and I had the money, I'd have it restored, if possible.

Restore it and play it, yee haw!

Comment

If a re-top is the only way to repair the split in the top, I'd be tempted get the split/dings filled and the whole guitar resprayed a solid colour (plus fix the binding and refret it). Black with white / cream binding would look awesome.....
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

you got my attention there Ian.. do you know someone in the UK who's capable in pullin' that off?

Comment

Laz (kammo1) is in the UK and he builds some cool looking guitars from scratch.

Drop him a PM or email describing what's wrong and see what he has to say....

Comment

Just had a thought - would you see a line down the centre of the top if you just fill the split? (if not straight away then eventually)

Comment

Just a thought, but if the top can be saved, I would suggest routing a 1/8" bead down the center of the top and put a MOP or abalone inlay down the center to fill it in.
              I think that would look really slick and save a really nice looking piece of wood.
              -Rick

Comment

Yeah, that could look really good, especially if the body binding is done as well....

Comment

I would personally like to see it restored to original, especially if you need the body binding fixed anyway. Whatever happened to your claim?

Comment

One guy I know of that does great work with a project like this is Lee at GMW. Thought after what happened with genebaby I am hesitant to recommend him, the fact is that he has done great work for many here on this board. At the very least it might be worth asking him how much this kind of job would cost and go from there.

Comment

Yeah, Lee's a possibility, but he's really busy and the guitar is in Europe, so you'd have to figure 2 trans-atlantic journeys and possible custom hassles on top...

Comment

Ian, i've send an email to Laz as I see he's not very active on the JCF..

Rick, I like your thought also btw, 2 possibilities to have it restored in a non-original but cool layout.. I think I'll consider that if restoring to original layout turns out to expensive.

I know Lee/GMW, but I'm hoping there's some other alternative first, for the reason Ian did mention.. tho I will ask him a quote.

Jimmy, VISA did granted -for now- a partial refund (minus import fees) (==> PP sucks.. cover your PP transactions with a VISA behind it is the lesson here).
                        The seller never made any effort in refunding me, even partially like I suggested.

Comment

I can definitely help with the binding, fretwork, and hardware. But I don´t have any decent finishing facilities available at present....

And I´d offer myself up as "solution 2" as well [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Running an inlay down the centre of the body sounds like a great idea. It could be MOP, abalone, or even another piece of wood.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

That looks a LOT like the Jackson archtop I had... I sure hope not. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X