Custom King Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom King Rhoads

Hi All. I was looking at Jacksons website under the custom section and stumbled upon the cutout Rhoads( King Rhoads ) and now have couple of questions.

1st. does anyone have or know anything about these V's. If so what are your likes and dislikes.

2nd. I noticed that the Floyd tremolo is surface mounted. It seems to me you would want it routed out instead. Why would it come out of a custom shop this way? What are yalls thoughts on this.

Sorry if my questions are general. I'm just not sure on this V and was wanting to order a custom RR1 until I saw these. Just need some advice, Thanks

Re: Custom King Rhoads

The current standard is for for a routed Floyd recess, but this was not the case on the older models. Some of the limited-edition and NAMM guitars incorporated old specs, including surface-mounted Floyds. You'll find (especially in the gallery) that some "old" features are still very popular.
    sigpic

Comment

Those rule! They're on the www.guitarasylum.com site. Non-recessed trems are more old-school and preferred by a lot of people, including myself. They're still floating trems and you can pull up, just not as much as a recessed trem. The neck angle is tilted back to accomodate the non-recess, similar to a Les Paul with a TOM bridge (it puts the bridge higher off the body). Welcome to the forum. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hey z1n,
        Welcome.....
        To give you a little insight into these guitars, the idea was put together by the two Guitar Asylum owners. Inspired by the first piece that Pablo Santana did, (the bottom picture shows 'that' guitar which was featured at NAMM last year), they introduced an 'old school' look with some 'new school' flare.
        Guitar Asylum followed all of the 'old school' specs and stayed fairly true to the Randy Rhoads original. (Even though Randy's original was a black and gold string thru model, with front loaded controls).

The first photo shows the exclusive set that Guitar Asylum ordered; a little different than the first one made by Pablo. (Bottom photo). I didn't mention it but Pablo is one of the master builders at Jackson and came up with the original cutout design.

The 'old school' points are:
        - smaller style sharkfin inlays.
        - non-recessed Floyd.
        - pickups, like on Randy's original string thru Rhoads.
        - rhoads jack under wing. (Not on top of the body).

New school stuff would be:
        - the cutout.
        - matching headstock.
        - rear loaded controls.
        - one knob, one switch.

Old meets new...

I have seen these up close at Guitar Asylum and own one of the green versions..... Amazing! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] ....I think the most stunning of the lot... and it can't be beat...
        Overall, I feel it's a very well made classic instrument, again, with old school flare and a new school touch.

I am sure that there are some things that I may have missed about these pieces and if I did and someone knows, please chime in. It will probably be said too, that these guitars are nothing like Randy's original but when talking to Rob and Gary at Guitar Asylum and handling these guitars first hand, I could see and feel how much of Randy's influence is in these guitars.... Big time influence!!

Wanted Fish

Comment

I think these guitars are what a great custom piece are all about. Not that plain jane customs are bad but this is the stuff that truly showcases how awesome the custom shop can be. And I think Fish hit everything exactly right. In fact these guitars inspired one of my (many) specs for a future custom shop order. A "King" Warrior. As for the old school features, I think all good choices though I am not sure I would dig the non recessed Floyd. Dunno. I think I've maybe played on a Non Recessed Floyd once or twice but it doesn't stick out in my mind one way or another which probably means it would not bother me. I am not much of a dive bomber anyways...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

1st. does anyone have or know anything about these V's. If so what are your likes and dislikes.

[/ QUOTE ]
            http://www.guitarasylum.com/

[ QUOTE ]
            2nd. I noticed that the Floyd tremolo is surface mounted. It seems to me you would want it routed out instead. Why would it come out of a custom shop this way? What are yalls thoughts on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Real Simple: Because Guitar Asylum ordered them this way.

Many such as yours truly don´t really like recessed trems because of the different way the picking hand rests on the body... this is 100% pure preference, no "better" or "Worse" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks everyone. Your thoughts/advice really help. This king is awesome. Probably out of my price range. I will probably end up with an white/pinstrips RR1. I currently have a Kelly KE-3, Wasburn G-8v(my first) and a Custom 24 PRS with quilted 10 top optiton. The PRS is very nice but its like comparing apples to oranges. IMO my PRS is like a cadillac and the RR1 is like a Hotrod. Anyway, Thanks again and ill post some pics of my guitars soon.

Comment

Nice. Old school specs rock. I especially like the way the strings sit a bit higher away from the body with a non-recess Floyd.

Didn't the original version of this came with only 22 frets or was it the bigger white V?

Comment

Wow, those are pretty cool.

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

That red one just blows my mind! I came very, very close to buying one from Guitar Asylum.
                    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Myxolodian, you are correct... the original did come with 22 frets while this one is 24.... another new school detail...

Fish, Fish, Fish

Comment

Working...
                      X