rosewood on an RR1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rosewood on an RR1?

<font face=tahoma size=2 color=#fffffe>Okay, here's the problem. I have an RR1 and it's definately US made because of the serial, inlays, etc., but I can't tell if the fretboard is ebony or rosewood. Is it possible for an RR1 to have rosewood or perhaps the ebony is dried out? Here's a pic (kind of crappy, but gives you the idea):

</font>
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Re: rosewood on an RR1?

That's ebony. It might be a lil dried out since ebony dries a bit quicker than rosewood. Put some lemon oil on it.

Comment

I'd say that looks like ebony - and a lot of the time it isn't pitch black, but more of a dark brown. Rosewood will look a lot grainier for one thing.

Comment

As far as I know, rosewood tends to have deep grainlines, where as ebony tends to be completely flat

Comment

Ebony isn't perfectly absolutely black all the time, but that looks like rosewood, yeah. Lots of pro musicians like rosewood better than ebony, so it's possible you've got a rosewood board and gold hardware as a result of a custom order once upon a time. A little bore oil should bring out the color of the wood, though the grain should give rosewood aways as well. It's a lot more open than ebony. How about a few more pics?
          Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            It's a lot more open than ebony

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't look very open to me at all [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              It's a lot more open than ebony

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't look very open to me at all [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Therefore it's probably ebony.

Comment

Yea, that's what I originally thought, my bad for not stating that [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't know, but if it was a custom order, then it would not be RR1 as he said it.

Comment

I don't think it's custom ordered or anything. I added the gold hardware and pickups. It's a recently made guitar as hinted by the serial and the guy I bought it from said he picked it up at a NAMM show, so I don't know? Anyways, here's some more pics.
                    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

On the last pic it really looks like rosewood. But it could might be that flash of camera.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Yea, that's what I originally thought, my bad for not stating that [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean I could make out the grain or not from the first pic, I thought the pic was to crappy to tell [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] When I said the grain would be more pronounced for rosewood than ebony that was meant as advice for a guy with the guitar in his hand.
                        Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Although that does indeed look very light, I still can't make out the grain that would definitely classify it as rosewood.
                          I think we need better closeups.

But it sure looks like it could use some lemon oil. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Try and get some flash-less pics, because that's very hard to determine from those pics IMO

Comment

Okay, here's some without flash. Still pretty crappy, but I can't get any better since it's a cheap camera. Probably can't see the grain any better...

Comment

Working...
                              X