No announcement yet.

Help me decide/Sl2H/Mah or EVH Charvel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me decide/Sl2H/Mah or EVH Charvel.

SL2H-MAH without a doubt. I would live in a house made of Mohogany if I could.

Comment

Which would YOU prefer? That's all that matters.

Personally, I'd go split the difference and get a strathead PC1, instead. Then the EVH, and SL in that order. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Shreddermon's idea is actually a very appealing compromise, if the middle pickup doesn't get in your way.

Comment

Shreddermon gets a +1 here. The EVH is cool but you should know that the back shape is more baseball bat like and the frets are small. If you like the thiner neck and big frets you will not be overly impressed with the way the EVH plays IMHO. That said, a competent Luthier could probably make the appropriate changes, but that kind of money, I expect close to perfection out of the box. Dont get me wrong, the EVHs are cool as hell, just I am always going to go after the guitar I will play over the one that looks the best.
          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Which would YOU prefer? That's all that matters.

Personally, I'd go split the difference and get a strathead PC1, instead. Then the EVH, and SL in that order. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
            +1 That's a great idea. Awesome!
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Shreddermon's idea is actually a very appealing compromise, if the middle pickup doesn't get in your way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott why can't you lower the middle pickup until its flush with the body?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I may be in the minority, but I think the EVH is a huge waste of money on what is essentially a basswood bodied Strat. History has shown that signature models do not hold their value at all, so go with the Soloist. More versatile, better sounding, neck-thru construction. If you want an EVH looking guitar, build it out of Warmoth parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 SL2H in a heartbeat

Comment

You really have to try them - they're pretty different instruments (bolt-on, unfinished maple board, single hum non recessed floyd VS neck thru, bound ebony with finished neck, 2 hums, recessed floyd etc)

I really like both and obviously they both have their own strengths.

The main downside of the EVH for me is that it's totally tied to Eddie, with all the associations (both good and bad) that go with him.....
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

This is a no-brainer... SL2H-MAH. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I may be in the minority, but I think the EVH is a huge waste of money on what is essentially a basswood bodied Strat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nailed it on the head there. The EVH is a cool guitar, but you're paying for nostalgia. I own an SL2HT... go for the SL2H.

Comment

I own an SL2H and I had the opportunity to play the EVH yesterday at GC. They are both great guitars, but they are also very different guitars. Also, the SL2H is more versatile. I say go with the SL2H!!!!

Comment

I'd rather have the EVH or an SL1T before the SL2T.
                          The field for 2 hums is too wide and I'd probably go Hamer.
                          JMHO of course.
                          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I'm just curious, why does anyone think basswood is so bad? I've played some fantastic sounding basswood guitars and horrible sounding mahogany/ash/alder/maple/poplar/etc. guitars. Heck, some amazing guitars have been made out of pine.

As for my vote, I dunno dude - you should make up your mind. If neither one is *really* a keeper then the only advise I would offer is to either grab the guitar you'll lose the least money on or grab the one you'll have the most fun with until you flip it.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                            X