Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Shannon Soloist info?

Hi,

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I just bought a 1998 Jackson Mike Shannon Soloist- black with Ebony board with case for $900. I also have the 1998 Jackson manual. The only real difference I see between the Shannon & a regular USA Soloist, is the Shannon has a 4 degree neck angle and different pickups- I know it has Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge. I believe the single coils are stacked- not sure though.

How many of these were made?

Are they custom shop?

How much were they new in 1998?

What are the tonal differences between the Shannon and a regular Soloist as the pickups are different?

Do they hold collector value like an old Les Paul?

This guitar is MINT! I just want to get more info and any is appreciated!

Thank you very much for your time and have a good day!

Re: Jackson Shannon Soloist info?

Search function, newbie! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

5 secs of work:
    http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

And no, they don't hold their value as well as an old Les Paul (unless perhaps the rarer slime green ones, white, etc), eventhough these probably whoop any LP's ass. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

-----------

They are in a sense Custom Shop Limited models, yes. (read the thread I linked).

------------

They have poplar wings (more common practice in the 80's), tonal differences aren't as inherent to the guitar as they are to the pick-ups, so just swap them out if the tone is lacking.

-----------

Your price was a good one, you got a good deal.

---------------

More food for thought: http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...Soloist-1.html
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Great job GOR!

I've wondered about Shannon's myself.

Comment

Thanks man. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Now let's see if this is an ebay-info thread, or an actual interested new member! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Time'll tell.

Alex (NOTP) should be able to tell plenty more, if that'd be required.
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

He's a bona fide new member, I know him. He is the proud papa of a mint Shannon. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Some of the other subtle differences are:
            Bound fret ends
            No MOP Jackson logo
            Mike's sig on the back of the headstock
            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Yes, I just wanted info on the Shannon and I am keeping it til I die! Thanks for the information I really appreciate that!

Comment

Most of the little features of the Shannon have already been mentioned:

-Non-recessed Original Floyd Rose tremolo with 42mm long sustain block
                -4 degree neck angle to compensate for raised tremolo
                -Mike Shannon's signature on the back of the headstock underneath the clearcoat
                -Maple neck, poplar body wings (instead of alder), ebony fretboard
                -One piece neck with headstock scarf joint
                -Old-style unscalloped neck heel
                -Jackson headstock logo is silkscreened rather than made of mother of pearl
                -Binding over fret ends (otherwise known as binding nibs or Gibson binding)
                -Stock pickups are Seymour Duncan SHPG-1 Pearly Gates humbucker and Seymour Duncan SSL-5 Custom Staggered (this I am not 100% sure about) single coils
                -Chrome hardware on solid colors (usually you see black hardware on these finishes), except one black guitar that left the factory with gold hardware
                -Gotoh "45 degree" tuners (either with a Jackson logo or Gotoh logo)
                -Four known finishes (50 or 52 in black, 56 in blue ghost flames with ~$300 upcharge at the time, 6 in slime green, and 2 in white) with one rumored finish (1 in sherbet orange)

Here's more info:

-Year 1998 made, with at least one 1997 prototype
                -Prototype is owned by a fellow forum member and is finished in blue ghost flames, with just one humbucker
                -Supposed to be a modern take on a San Dimas era Soloist and/or a tribute to/for Mike Shannon, except for the large Ontario control cavity route and "45 degree" tuners

They are somewhat a custom shop limited run but sport USA Standard serial numbers and don't have a custom shop logo. I really don't care... they're cool guitars.

Sorry for restating a lot of info that the above people have already stated... I just enjoy my mental masturbation. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And in the future, I can copy/paste this chunk of text easily and have all the info. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Who's Mike Shannon??????

j/k [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                  RIP Dime

Comment

Yeah, what the hell... he doesn't even PLAY guitar, why does he have his very own SIGNATURE MODEL in five different colors and such awesome specifications????

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

My BGF went for $1500 new. I have the original sales receipt.

Comment

wow I actually staryed the other thred and I din't remember, but I do remember what I learn there.

Comment

Working...
                        X