help..which would you buy? decisions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help..which would you buy? decisions!

a nearby city...has two jackson soloists...and im not sure which one to buy both around 1200, first one is a 1986 soloist neck thru, san dimas (checked the serial number), red , with ebony board sharkfins...kahler pro...and the other is new old stock 2000 soloist with floyd ,duncans , its got the flame flip flop paint job....the old san dimas is in excellent shape. has the original pickup in the case...someone added a duncan in the bridge otherwise its stock. positives with the older jackson..great investment..plays great....however with the kahler leads me to pause...on the other hand the new old stock solist has a real floyd...and is a new guitar....geez decisions...both play great..however the older solist is heavier..but both sound great and play great i wish i could get them both.....hehe ? which would you guys get, and are there positives and negatives that i should consider...Thanks so much for your opinion...thanks! the old soloist has hardly any fret wear....must have been a closet player....

Re: help..which would you buy? decisions!

Everything else being equal, I would personally go with the Floyd. I would also choose the newer guitar unless it was butt ugly or the older guitar were some rare model and you were getting a great deal.
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Well i'f your sed to higher tom bridges then the kahler will be a better choice of bridge you can do all the stuf you cant on floyds like unison bends and however heavy you pic it wont adjust the bridge due to the cam......

Bascically if you are a hard eel player who pics heavily and tend to make the floyd go out of pitch due to this i'd reccomend the kahler more, allthough they tend to need more tlc than floyds do....

Ozz

Comment

Personally I would go with a Floyd. The other soloist may have a different neck profile - I am not a historian on those things. There may be a different neck / body angle also - I have heard the angle is different on the older soloists.

But the springs on the Floyd should be about 25% heavier which will give you more sustain and better tone. And my Floyds all stay in tune with no problem.
        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

pick up both and send the kahlered on to me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          go with the new one if you don`t relly know if you like kahlers, and played other trems before
          i like them kahlers, but many dont
          and as said, its a different angle to pick at a kahler compared to a recessed floyd, that may bother you
          if you come frome a fixed bridge LP, SG or what then go with the Kahler and you`ll have much fun
          cheers
          andy

Comment

Floyd = [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Kahler = [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]
            Good deals with:
            Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

I'd go with the new one cos Interference Flames are really cool....
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Personally I would take the San Dimas one. I like the San Dimas neck profile and most of our favorite guitarists played mid 80s Jacksons. There is magic in those guitars that some refer to as mojo. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

The dimas would be cool, especially in good nick and original. But interference flames man!! Tought decision for sure, close your eyes and see which one speaks to you.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    close your eyes and see which one speaks to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, thats all you gotta do. easiest thing in the world [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

That is a hard decision. Personally, I'd go with the 2000 soloist just because it's "new". I have no experience with a Kahler. Good luck and welcome to the board. Don't forget to post pics when you get it!

Comment

I would go with the new Soloist
                        Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Good advice , close your eyes and play them both, get the one that calls your name. If you're not a heavy Whammy user the Kahler will be fine.
                          The neck shapes are probably different so just play them both for a couple of hours and grab the one you like better.
                          can't really go wrong either way [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Good advice , close your eyes and play them both, get the one that calls your name. If you're not a heavy Whammy user the Kahler will be fine.
                            The neck shapes are probably different so just play them both for a couple of hours and grab the one you like better.
                            can't really go wrong either way [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second Nick's comments. See if either one feels better after playing them both. My personal preference is a floyd and the interference flames would be another bonus in my book.

Comment

Yeah, Interferance paint is teh shit!!!!
                              Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Working...
                              X