Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SL1 vs. SL2H: What's your favorite & why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL1 vs. SL2H: What's your favorite & why?

I'm considering getting either an SL1 or an SL2H, and I was wondering, with the SL1 sporting stacked coil humbuckers, is there any major advantage to either the SL1 or the SL2H?

Are there any hidden differences between them that aren't immediately apparent, e.g., different feel to the necks, etc.? (One difference that springs to mind is the fact that the SL2H is available with mahogany body in SL2H-MAH form, while the SL1 isn't.)

Which do you prefer, and why? Inquiring minds want to know. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: SL1 vs. SL2H: What\'s your favorite & why?

Well, my decision was based on the fact that I don`t use anything but the bridge pickup, so alas I have an SL2H, but quality and structurally they are the same, so it all boils down to if you use alot of pickup combinations, or only 1-3 on the SL2H. Personally, I could do with out the neck pickup all together, although my 1993 Archtop Soloist Custom has an EMG 85/SA combo,it also has a mahogany body, but I don`t use the neck pickup. Jack.

Comment

I agree 100% on the bridge pickup preference.

If I had my way, I'd be getting a Custom Shop 1H - or better yet, Jackson would be releasing a production SL1H. But it's looking like I'm not going to have my way in the near future, so I'm thinking of settling for an SL1 or SL2H as my first USA Jackson.

I like the looks of the SL2H better, and I also prefer its switch (never cared for slide switches), but I was listening to a little SRV last night, and I thought, hmm, if I have to have other pickups, maybe a single coil-ish sound would be more useul than a neck humbucker. Plus, the neck pickup always sounds bassier, and the thin-ness of the single coil might offset that a bit.

On the other hand, I'm guessing a Zakk Wylde 81/85 set would be easier to find and maybe cheaper than an 81/SA/SA set for my probable switch to EMGs.

Anyway, I thought there might be some hidden difference I didn't know about to tip the scales.

Comment

SL2H... I don't use single coils often, middle pickups irritate my right hand, and I like the toggle better than the 5-way. I also prefer mahogany to alder by a country mile. (I really want an SL2MAH, but I don't think such a thing exists. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] )

Comment

I have a SL1 with Rio Grande's and you can definitely get the SRV sounds out of it. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] If that's something you'd want to have readily available then I'd go with the SL1. I haven't been playing for too long now but the SL1 plays great! It is very versitile. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by The Eristic:
            SL2H... I don't use single coils often, middle pickups irritate my right hand, and I like the toggle better than the 5-way. I also prefer mahogany to alder by a country mile. (I really want an SL2MAH, but I don't think such a thing exists. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] )
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">SL2MAH does exist [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . At least according to the Jackson catalog I have....Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...or verify I am correct.

Comment

Re: SL1 vs. SL2H: What\'s your favorite &amp; why?

Yes, it does. SL2H-MAH.

Comment

Originally posted by sdavis80:
                SL2MAH does exist [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . At least according to the Jackson catalog I have....Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...or verify I am correct.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you sure you're not confusing the SL2 with the SL2H-MAH? If you are correct, and there is an SL2MAH, I must have one. Now.

Comment

Originally posted by The Eristic:
                  </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by sdavis80:
                  SL2MAH does exist [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . At least according to the Jackson catalog I have....Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...or verify I am correct.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you sure you're not confusing the SL2 with the SL2H-MAH? If you are correct, and there is an SL2MAH, I must have one. Now. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry I left out an H...SL2H and SL2H-MAH. But what you are looking for is a mahogany body correct? If so then the SL2H-MAH is what you are looking for.

Comment

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by The Eristic:
                    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by sdavis80:
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you sure you're not confusing the SL2 with the SL2H-MAH? If you are correct, and there is an SL2MAH, I must have one. Now. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry I left out an H...SL2H and SL2H-MAH. But what you are looking for is a mahogany body correct? If so then the SL2H-MAH is what you are looking for. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/g...=SL2H_Soloist#

click on the first link under Specs
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

http://www.guitarasylum.com/productp...on/sl2hmah.htm
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Anybody here have both the SL2H and the SL2H-MAH and can compare/contrast their unplugged acoustic tones for us? Is the mahogany one significantly darker than the maple-thru-alder-wings one? Obviously the SL2H should have a transparent finish so that both guitars have a maple top to eliminate as many differences as possible.

Comment

I have a SL2H. I have other guitar with H/S/H combination and I rarely use the middle pickup. Plus it tends to get in my way, and I think the guitar looks 'cleaner' without that third pickup 'squeezed' in between.

Comment

I'm an SL1 fan. I like to have an all in one solution when I am playing. The SL1T would be pefect for me at this time. I would probably put the EMG SA/SA/89 combo with a push-pull pot in the tone knob on it.
                            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Sorry I left out an H...SL2H and SL2H-MAH. But what you are looking for is a mahogany body correct? If so then the SL2H-MAH is what you are looking for.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What I really want is the no inlay + black binding and pearl yellow finish of an SL2 with the hardware and body of an SL2HT-MAH. I guess I'll end up going Custom Shop. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X