help me narrow down my custom shop specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me narrow down my custom shop specs

hi. i have a general idea of what i want for my custom shop creation, but some input would still be handy for some of the specs that i can't decide on.

here's what i'm thinking so far:

body: original phil collen arch top, alder with a quilted veneer (don't want a top that adds to the tone, just the look), finished in cabo, with cream body binding on the top only. here's where i need an opinion. should i get the back of the body, under the binding painted black, or just get it cabo?

neck: standard jackson shape, reverse headstock with a quilt veneer, color matched to the body, ebony board, no inlay, bound all the way around in cream. i'm thinking i want it oiled, but i'm not sure...any suggestions?

hardware: OFR bridge, standard jackson tuners, dome knobs, etc. all black

pickups: here's where i need some input. i was thinking of getting 2 humbuckers, but i don't know if it will fit because of the slant on the fretboard. i don't know how the guitar would look without the slanted fretboard. should i go for it, or just do the hum/single combo those guitar usually came with. BTW, i don't want a mini bucker in the neck...i just don't like them. if i got the single in the neck i would want it to be routed like the modern SL1 (with the little lip opening) rather than the way they used to route the singles. as far as pickup type, here's what i was thinking:

2 humbuckers: zebra duncan custom/custom (bridge), zebra duncan 59 (neck)

1 hum, 1 single: zebra duncan pearly gates (bridge), black duncan five-two (neck)

BTW, i am not a shredder...my band plays music along the lines of early Scorpions meets SKID Row meets Boston...that is why i don't want ultra output pickups.

for the control outlay, i was thinking of copying the way the PC-1 has its controls. Except i would have it as two volumes, 1 tone, 3 way switch, and/or (depending on pickup config.), 1 or 2 coil taps, or 1 coil tap and a phase switch.

any comments and or suggestions would be appreciated. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Re: help me narrow down my custom shop specs

im not sure about having below the binding painted, i think i would go with the norm.

as for the neck i would got with oild if its not a mahog neck

pup wise for to hums anf from what you say i would go with a set of perly gates.

just my 2 cents [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Sounds like a cool CS for sure! I have a couple suggestions though. I would take it one step further, and get Chlorine instead of cabo. Or, you could get cabo, with a sunburst type of fade to a darker blue color...maybe even to black?

As far as the oiled neck, I'm not sure if I would suggest it in MAH. Oiled Maple is much different. I owned a SLATQH with an oiled MAH neck, and I couldnt stand it. It was so rough feeling, I ended up selling it. Don't get me wrong...I prefer a MAH neck....just as long as it's painted. I would at least try to play one with an oiled neck first.

I like the Hum/Single combo for a CS. You don't see too many with that combo. Maybe slant the single like the old Phil Collen archtop.

Hope it's been helpful! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

All IMHO...

Paint the back the same color as the body, not black. (Looks OK with trans black or blackburst edges, but not in any other color.)

Painted neck, not oiled.

1H & 1SC. The Pearly Gates is OK, but a little weak in the output dept. Never heard of a Duncan five two? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I'd go with something like a JB or Custom combined with a Classic Stacked.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks so far guys. Hunting Doug, I was actually going for the cabo because it's light like chlorine, but not chlorine...chlorine is a badass color, but i find it kind of over done lately...and (here's the ironic part) it's a Phil Collen signature color (duh). the funny thing is, or what makes that statement ironic is that i don't like Phil's playing, or Def Lepard for that matter...but i own and use, as my #1 stage guitar, a solar PC-1...and now i want to order a PC archtop!!!

as far as the pick up thing, i just talked to Kevin Easton about the 2 humbucker thing, and i think i'll just go with the slanted single in the neck so i can keep the fretboard slanted. after doing some mock-ups, the PC archtop didn't look right to me with a squared off fretboard. but then and again, it would be unique!!! (gee, decisions, decisions!!)

i've got to admit, REALLY deciding what you want for a custom is nerve racking when it comes down to droping the cash for real.

keep the ideas flowing...you're helping me think!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

oh yeah, for the neck...it would be maple. i happen to like tung oiled mahogany necks (i used to do that to my Yamaha's when i was a kid), but this guitar will have a maple neck..and i've decided on oiled!
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

If there's room for the two humbuckers, that might be pretty cool. It would be somewhat like some Hamers, such as the Diablo, which had a slanted 'bucker up by the neck. (Check out this example: http://www.jcguitars.com/hamdev1.jpg) You didn't mention switching, but maybe a push-pull or mini-switch to go from single-coil to humbucker would be an useful addition, especially if you want a variety of tones.
            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

As a happy-ass owner of an original Collen Archtop, I will have to say that the cost of the maple top and body binding is probably going to eat you alive. If you've already got a quote for it, and it's reasonable (for you, since it's yours), that's one thing, but the main reason they stopped making them is because the angles/carving of the body itself is way expensive, so I can imagine the custom-carved maple cap ain't gonna be cheap.
              But it sounds damn sweet as well [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, the Pro series Collen Archtop's neck is identical to the 1990 Pro series Warriors (if you've ever played one). I find it extremely comfortable to play - far more than my 1990 Soloist Pro (which feels more like a Gibson Les Paul neck than anything else).

The original control scheme of the Collen leaves a lot to be desired, IMO. Phil may enjoy it, but the way I play, the 3-way is directly behind the knob, and I can't get to it when I want to how I want to. Down toward the edge and forward a bit woulda been nice. But at least the knob is out of the way when picking [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, congrats on a kickass Custom [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have almost exactly the same ideas for one of my dream custom guitar [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] .

Brooks has a Collen archtop with a quilted maple top and it's a really gorgeous instrument( http://www.brooksguitarworld.com/my_guitars.html ).
                What do you mean, "I don't believe in God"? I talk to him every day.

Comment

SLY, i pretty much got the idea from Brooks' guitar. that sucker is badass!! Newc, yeah i've got a pretty reasonable quote...but if i could find one like yours, that would satisfy me...for now. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

as far as a slanted neck hummer, i'll have to play with my mock-ups today and try that out. might be cool...not sure, though.
                  GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Working...
                  X