Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trem replacement on an SL2

Guys,
    I have a line on an SL2 and was wondering how involved changing the factory fitted trem (JT580 - LP) for an Original or Schaller Floyd was - Anyone done this?
    Cheers
    Ian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Re: Trem replacement on an SL2

Many here have replaced a JT580 with an OFR, it's not too difficult a task... I've just recently converted my Model A. Depending on how your guitar intonates, it should be no problem (if the original trem saddles are further and halfway back on the middle bolt, I'd be a little leary). Anyway, all you'll have to do it this:

1.)Remove old trem.
    2.) Pull old bushings. There are many ways to accomplish this, but I took the advice I got here and wrapped a terry cloth rag around each post, grabbed it with vice grips and pulled STRAIGHT UP. You may want to score around the old bushings with an exacto knife to reduce the chance of the paint chipping off. Mine came out with very little pressure.
    3.) Put in OFR studs and bushings. The Floyd bushings are a little bigger than the JT580's so you'll have to TAP them in. First I pushed the Floyd bushings (minus the post) in as far as I could by hand, then placed a small block of wood over the stud and TAPPED it in. Tap it in until it's flush with the body. Don't smash it in there, use enough pressure to get it in... It shouldn't be that hard.
    3.) Next, you'll have to remove the stock block and cut it so it'll fit in the body. Make sure you are aware of the order things came apart... Floyd saddles need to be installed in order as they come stock with about a 12" radius. You won't need the extra shim you'll find underneath for your SL2. Floyds come with a 42mm block (non recessed), and recessed applications require a 36mm block. Remove the block and drill the 5 spring holes with a 1/16" drill bit deeper. Obviously, you're gonna want to go in 5 - 8mm... I broke a couple of bits doing this, but if you get good ones made for drilling through steel you'll be okay. Next, take the JT580 block and tape it to the Floyd block to use it as a guide and cut the Floyd block down with a hacksaw. A good hacksaw with whip this out rather quickly... It's not a hard as it seems. Once the excess is cut off, use a mill file to file it smooth. Reinstall the Floyd block. Now your ready to rock! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    4.) Install the bridge, clip on the springs, put your strings on and intonate.
    5.) Divebomb as necessary.
    6.) Repeat step 5...
    [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

SL2!?! It should have a factory Floyd on it, or a Schaller [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
        SL2!?! It should have a factory Floyd on it, or a Schaller [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Newc
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newc,

I reckon he's taking about SL2(the one without inlay)

Comment

khabibissell,
          My god - talk about a complete run through! Thanks for that, it's much appreciated.
          Yep, I was talking about the SL2 (not SL2H) - I'm in the UK and there's one for sale with EMG 81s which is up at a good price, but I'm aware that the standard fitted trems weren't much good and wanted to see how involved a replacement job was....
          Cheers
          Ian
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I have the DR2 and RR2 models from that line, and have had no trouble at all with the JT580 trem in either. When I first got the DR2, I made a point of putting the trem through its paces, and it always returned to pitch and stays in tune as well as any Schaller or OFR I've used.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm well aware of the SL2/SL2H differences [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] - I thought it came with an OFR or Schaller, being a USA. I had no idea they'd charge USA prices for a guitar with a shit trem on it.

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

The ol' "Newc backpedal" in all its glory! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                  The ol' "Newc backpedal" in all its glory! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Actually, I really did know what the SL2 was - I assumed it came with an OFR like the other USAs. So did the RR2 come with the 580 as well?

Newc

Comment

SL2, RR2 and DR2 all came with the 580 trem.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X