Soloist or JEM7VWH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist or JEM7VWH

Okay, I have a JEM7VWH. I just got it, it's a nice guitar. However, I also have an RR1 which I like more. Now, I know I haven't had the JEM for very long about 2 months, and I should give it a bit more time. But it doesn't have that solid feel the Jackson has. It feels light and breakable. I'm not saying it's a POS it just doesn't feel as substantial as the RR1 does. I do like the pick ups. The neck, while a little on the thin side, is very slik and fast. What I was thinking is trading the JEM for a Soloist SL1 or SL2H. Has anyone here gone from a neckthru Jackson to some bolt on and felt, well, like the bolt on was a toy? Maybe it's just me, I'm weird like that.
    Thanks for your input.
    Hugh [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Re: Soloist or JEM7VWH

No, I get the same feeling. Overall, I prefer neckthru guitars, so maybe I'm not the best person to comment. But the JEMs are pretty nice guitars, I have to admit. They sound totally different than a neckthru Jackson--I would say that it's worthwhile to have one of each, if that's possible.

Anyway, a JEM probably isn't all that easy to break--look at what Vai puts his through.

Comment

haha, true about Vai's jem. mind you after 9 years and HEAVY touring, you might get the body crack like his, and you might have to change the neck every few years or when your drop it and crack them. and if you tour like vai does, you might have to change the vibrato system every month or so! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't see myself touring as much as Vai does. In fact, I don't "tour" at all. At least not now. I take good care of my gear and I haven't droped a guitar yet in 19 years of playing. (knock on wood) I'm sure the JEM will stand up just fine over time if it's taken care of. My problem is more of a mental one. (Like most of my life, ha ha) It's more the feeling of being delicate than the reality of it. I like the solid feeling I get from the RR1 and my LP more than the JEM. Maybe I'm just getting used to it? I'm going to try to pick up a soloist at some point in the future anyway. Does Jackson make a 24.75 scale soloist? or would that be custom shop only??

Comment

It's just the SLS that has the 24.75 scale isn't it? I mean in the soloist line. I think the KV2T has 24.75 scale as well.
          I kind of like that shorter scale length sometimes.
          Does anyone here own an SLS? What do you think about them?
          Thanks in advance.
          Hugh

Comment

Well I don't own an SLS but I do own a soloist, and it does have a very durable feel or sturdy or whatever. Very solid guitar. I say ditch the ibeenhad and get one. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Isn't Jem overpriced for what it's made of? I saw a Jem in the local store and it's even more expensive than a Jackson USA Select.

Comment

i had a esp kh-2 with the bolt on but i sold it to get a sl-2h. i love the neck on the jackson it has a solid feel to it and its comfortable. i also tried out some ibanez but i like the sl-2 better.

Comment

I'd keep the jem [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Silkton,
                    I played a Jem7VWH from 94 to about a year ago. I swore by the Jem. When I bought my first Soloist, an SL1, I barely ever picked the Jem7 up again. I now have 6 or 7 USA Soloists, and have owned about 10. I sold my Jem and Universe guitars. The Soloist just feels like a more solid, more refined, smoother playing guitar. Sound/tone wise, I'd put them about equal although my SL1's have a better clean or bluesier tone when not driven hard. The Jem and the Soloist are nearly the same retail price. For me, the difference was so drastic in how each felt that I never regretted for a minute switching to the Soloist. My Jem was one that Vai had signed for a music store when he did a clinic.
                    As far as the question about the solidness of the Jem; I played mine a LOT in 8 or 9 years and it was in excellent shape when it went to the new owner. Try a Soloist out.

Comment

I can't wait to spend some time with a soloist. I'm not sure the pickup configuration I would want though? I'm moving to Phoenix, AZ in a few weeks and I hope to find a store that has USA Jacksons. So many stores have imports, not many have the real thing. I'm thinking I'm going to really like the soloist. Anyone want a brand new JEM? lol...
                      Thanks for the reply's.
                      Hugh

Comment

I don't really like the Jem's. I had a Rhoads back in the day and it was amazing. I'd have to take that hands down over any Jem any day of the week.

Comment

I had a Jem in college and had to get rid of it due to financial reasons. It was a great guitar and is at the top of the list of buy backs for me. I have also played Soloists, even a Shannon. The Soloits in general do nothing for me. That said I tend to prefer a bolt on neck. I only have one neckthru at the moment, a few set necks and the rest are bolt ons. You will probably prefer the Soloist if you don't like the Jem.

Comment

I bought a jem about a year ago and it just did not compare to my soloist so I returned it. Nothing wrong with it just didn’t fit me as well as my SL1. However after all these years of praising how great a neck thru is I'm starting to like the bolt on more and more as time passes. I think maybe it's time for a DK1. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X