Custom Shop Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Questions

Well, this weekend I had a weak moment and was saved by someone else moving quicker than I did. I was at a George Lynch guitar clinic this weekend in Baltimore and almost picked up an ESP M1 Tiger. I know I'll get some jeers for that. Luckily someone beat me to it. I like that guitar but I would also like some things to be different and decided the only way I will get one to my specs is to go the custom shop route. I would rather no buy some other guitar and do a lot of mods to it.

I have a few questions after generating some custom's using the the Jackson Order form. Does anyone know the following?

I would like more of a strat shaped body. Can you get that without increasing the price too much? I select the Dinky body when generating quotes.

Can a Strat Head shape be ordered or is the closet thing like the PC1 headstock? I think I have seen this topic debated quite a bit and the answer is no. But it leads me to my next question.

What is the difference between a Jackson Style Neck and a San Dimas neck? Is this talking about the headstock or the way the neck is shaped?

How much better/stronger is a 3-piece neck as opposed to one having a scarf joing? Is it worth the extra cost?

With a archtop body can you get trem that is not recessed? I may want to try and EVH D-Tuna on it.

If I really want a strat head is GMW the next best option for a guitar like this? I am not sure if I have to have one or not. I like it but I also like Jackons.

There were a lot of options not available on the order form. I am guessing you spend some quality time with a dealer before you actually order?

I am looking at getting a 24 fret archtop dinky, I really like my DK1, in a bengal paint scheme. It would have an OFR with an EMG 89 in the bridge and SA pickup in the neck with an EMG afterburner circuit. I hope to order this within the next 2-3 months. Sooner depending on how my move to the Dallas area goes.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Re: Custom Shop Questions

Um, I'll see what I can do.

You can order any kind of body you want but if you choose the basic Strat or Dinky it won't cost much extra. If there is a different kind of Strat shape you want rather than the regular Charvel kind you'll have to be able to give them a template or something to make it from and it could increase the price.

No Stratheads, only the PC1 style headstock.

Jackson style neck is the Jackson headstock and a scarf joint. San Dimas style used to be the PC1 headstock and a one piece neck. There is usually a difference in neck feel, but you can specifiy whatever you want.

I wouldn't worry about the 3piece/1 piece/scarf neck debate. 3 piece necks are strong, necks with scarf joints are strong and people love one piece maple necks with strat-type headstocks, get whatever you like.

You can get an archtop body with a trem that isn't recessed (my 750XL has one) but not too sure of the dTuna thing as it needs a flat surface and the carved top on such a guitar isn't so flat. Possibly not a good idea.

If you must have a strathead then GMW is your high quality guitar building answer.

Spend some quality time with a dealer that knows what they are talking about, I wouldn't go to just any place. Easton Guitars will be able to help you out a LOT, Kevin used to work for Jackson.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Since I'll be living in Dallas area soon I have started talking with Kevin at Easton Guitars to start pulling together all the details.

I decided that it has to be Jackson or nothing.

Comment

Hi bro, good call go with a quality make like a Jackson,Charvel forget the ESP they're nice but way overpriced and to my mind ain't really that good IMHO. You cannot go wrong with a top notch quality US made axe. after all think about it George really doesn't play an ESP right?? He has a Mighty Mite body and a Charvel neck I think this says it all!!! Whatever you're choice bro I'm sure it will be a cool axe and post pics when it is done, bro why don't you make your own after all I did. Kammo1 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I will most definately post pics. I did create my own tiger guitar a year ago but it's just not to the quality of a good Jackson. I figure this opportunity won't come around often so now is the time to order one up just the way I want it. Thanks

Comment

Yo I remember you from the George Lynch Message Board and yep you had just done your tiger guitar from Warmoth parts cool guitar. I don't visit the board nowadays as I think it has gone totally down the shitter and it just ain't no fun anymore but hang around here and CCentral totally cool sites and run by real cool people and fans of these classic guitars.Kammo1 [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X