RR5 vs RR1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RR5 vs RR1

I love my RR5, but then again, I have never owned nor played a RR1, so I cannot compare them. The RR5 is a good guitar though. But I am saving for a RR1 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I prefer Floyds on my guitars.

Comment

I got a used 1992 RR1 two weeks ago, and all I can say is WOW! It is sort of heavy, but it feels solid. The finish feels sexy. It's a man's guitar, not a toy.

I haven't held a RR5 so I can't compare against that, but I really like my RR1.

Comment

Just because it's made in Japan, doesn't mean it's junk. The Japanese know how to make some kick-ass guitars! I could care less about bound fretboard/neck through/ebony and even made in the (here we go) USA. Just replace the pup's and trem and save yourself a GRAND. I,m not knocking the RR1 it's a great guitar, but talk about overpriced....

just my opinion, of course...... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Just because it's made in Japan, doesn't mean it's junk. The Japanese know how to make some kick-ass guitars!

[/ QUOTE ]

tell me about it! check out the import charvel section. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Just replace the pup's and trem and save yourself a GRAND. I,m not knocking the RR1 it's a great guitar, but talk about overpriced....

[/ QUOTE ]
            Well, the RR5 does have USA Duncan JBs. It doesn't have a trem, so how would you replace it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And it does sell for about $1,000 anyway.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I never meant to imply that the Japanese guitars are junk, just different. Japanese Alder and Maple are quite different tonally from North American Alder and Maple. I prefer the sound of North American timber for bodies and necks. I don't like Mahogany bodied electrics either, and hate Mahogany necks.

Comment

I had someone bring an RR5 into the studio to record. It sounded like muffled ass. I handed him a USA RR to use and he never touched the RR5 for the rest of the session.

I suppose there are a few good ones out there but the ones at GC that I played, and the one I tried to record all paled in comparison to my USAs.
                ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

right now I have a JS30 Rhoads and I'm not sure between what I should get between a new guitar or amp. I had an ENGL Fireball for a couple of weeks and a Peavey XXX and I don't think I got all of what they could produce. I changed the 2 pickups for 2 emg 81 so it's way better but still.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    Just replace the pup's and trem and save yourself a GRAND. I,m not knocking the RR1 it's a great guitar, but talk about overpriced....

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Well, the RR5 does have USA Duncan JBs. It doesn't have a trem, so how would you replace it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And it does sell for about $1,000 anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

(pulling my head out of my ass) Your right, my bad. I was thinking of an RR3............ [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

That's what I was kind of thinking. The RR3 is also bolt-on... not that there's anything wrong with that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's not snobbery - I've long defended Jackson's imports as being better than everyone else's imports, but the RR5 should have had an ebony board and neck/head binding, or at least a darker rosewood (dyed, natural, whatever) for that price.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I had someone bring an RR5 into the studio to record. It sounded like muffled ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you don't like the wood the Japanese are using, either. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I had a RR5, it was a nice guitar, but it felt to stiff/new to me. The rosewood board kind of killed it as well. If it was ebony or died it would be really nice guitar. I still miss it, but was to afraid to use it also. (too many close calls on hitting stuff [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Comment

i would like to replace all the gold hardware with black, but i cant find a black V-plate and pickguard for the life of me

Comment

All specs aside, surely you cant deny that the RR1 "feels" a hell of a lot better than the RR5. Its like comparing clogs with, um, comfy shoes. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X