I believe I have found a gem.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe I have found a gem.....

I have come across a 1987 "white platinum" neck thru soloist, mint, and I mean mint, as in the tags are still on it. Rosewood fretboard with dots. Black hardware. Black headstock, but only on the "face" of the headstock, the back is all white. The tags read:

3/5/1987 Soloist white platinum student
    Serial J2989

Case looks pretty damn new as well. I know the source, so I know its real and no fudging.

My question would be, what does the serial number tell me (or you), and what would I want to pay for this. I know its tough without pics, which I can get if need be, but I am looking for advice.

He also has the following :

1992 dinky "no smoking' ??
    1999 JJ Korina
    and a "mini dinky"?? USA, an orange finish, and a headstock like the sls has. Also from the 80's I think.

Any advice is truly and greatly appreciated.

Shawn
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Re: I believe I have found a gem.....

Wow! Sounds great! I don't know about price, but if I could get it for 500 to 700, I would be all over it! That's just me and my budget though! Still has tags? That's killer! Is it a friend or something?

Comment

Sounds awesome!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

The "mini Dinky" would be known as the Super Dinky.

The Korina JJ, is that a five-string? If so, it's the JJ5, and that wasn't around very long. I believe that's the only JJ that was made in Korina, but maybe I'm mistaken. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

All good info, but what about the soloist, what kind of dollars??

Shawn
        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I believe this is one of those time where it's worth what you want to pay for it. I would always like to have a deal for a sweet guitar, but I would admit to paying "market" price for a guitar I really wanted.

If you can't sleep at night, you paid to much.

Comment

I think I know that Soloist.
            If it's the one I'm thinking of, $900 would be a good "both parties happy" price.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn:

1992 dinky "no smoking' ??
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">"Don't Smoke"
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

What bridge is on it?
                A Kahler will bring considerably less than a Floyd.
                All the serial # will tell you now, is the year it was made.
                Students also bring less than their custom counterparts.
                700 if equipped with a floyd, 500 for a Kahler IMO.

Comment

$700's high for a Student IMO, even if it is a San Dimas, unless you're of the opinion that "they just don't make 'em that way no more" or are otherwise a huge San Dimas fan.
                  Personally, I wouldn't go over $600 for a Student - it's just too plain, and you can get a 90/91 SL Pro with ebony and pearl for less.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Where the hell do YOU two buy guitars??

Comment

Ebay, duh! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Of course I should add the "disclaimer" about the differences in condition of each guitar, however, a dead mint SD Student Soloist is no match for a "player condition" 1990 Soloist Pro in the features department. Yes I like rosewood, but I despise a neckthrough with dots. I hate dots on nearly anything except maple, and only then it's because ebony blocks on maple look dorky (Geddy Lee bass), and MOP anything on maple looks like sperm [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Ebony fins look great on maple.

And yes, that means if I find an SD Student anything around here, I'll pass it to you guys (unless, of course, it's maple/dots).

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hey Shawn
                        I just saw a soloist like that one in a store in Tampa.If your interested I can send you the info.The one I saw is 100%,plus its so early of an ontario that it has san dimas parts plus an original Floyd on it from the factory.I have 8 soloists including a white one and I'm thinking hard about it myself just because its so f--king perfect.If your interested I'll get ya the info. He was asking $1499 I believe but probably $1300 would buy it.
                        Let me know
                        Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

Johnny,

Email me @ [email protected]

Shawn
                          Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                            it's just too plain, and you can get a 90/91 SL Pro with ebony and pearl for less.

Newc
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                            Originally posted by Newc:
                            however, a dead mint SD Student Soloist is no match for a "player condition" 1990 Soloist Pro in the features department.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmmmm, hmmmmm, now WHY would Newc be talking up a '90 Soloist Pro sooooooooooooo much?? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                            X