Preamp on late 80's Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preamp on late 80's Soloist

I couldn't find anything using the search function, so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

I just acquired a 1988 model Soloist that has S/S/H pickup configuration with one volume and one tone (and of course the pickup select mini-switches). When I opened up the cavity cover, I found two 9 volt batteries and a circuit board attached to the volume knob. On this board is a 3-dip switch deal and an adjustable mini-pot.

What exactly does all this do?

I seem to remember Jackson marketing their pickup sets around the late 80's that had some special midrange goodies about it. Do these dip switches select what the middle frequency is? Also, I am guessing it is an 18 volt setup, but will any passive pickups work?

Thanks for the help [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] !

Re: Preamp on late 80\'s Soloist

Yup, any passives will work. That's a gain boost board. You'd need to use fairly weak pickups with it to keep it sounding good, though - a Distortion might get too wild.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
      Yup, any passives will work. That's a gain boost board. You'd need to use fairly weak pickups with it to keep it sounding good, though - a Distortion might get too wild.

Newc
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep, although I use a Dimebucker with it in my ´87 Model 6 for totally oversaturated Ultragain sometimes. Roll the mids off and it cleans up nicely to a near PAF tone with mondo output [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

"That's a gain boost board."

What exactly do the three dip switches on my Soloist do then?

Thanks for the note about the passive pickups. I added a Duncan JB to my 1986 Model 6 with great results.

Comment

That's a JE1000 the switches are EQ think low,mid &highs there also a small pot for the amount of boost (0-20 db).

Comment

That was the info I was looking for. THANKS.

Comment

Working...
            X