Rhoads, Old Vs. New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads, Old Vs. New

Ok... At one time I had a 1986 Jackson Rhoads USA Custom S/N RR1799 with the lightning sky graphic. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] If I remember correctly, it had J70 or J75 Pickups. Sold it like an idiot. Now I want it back (but that's another story).

Here's my question:

I remember it being quite heavy, but a couple of weeks ago I happened across a 2003 RR1 w/ Skulls graphic, and it weighed practically nothing against what I remember of the '86. Does anyone happen to know what they were making them out of (wood-wise) back then compared to the Maple neck w/ alder wings nowadays?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Rhoads, Old Vs. New

The new ones also have alder wings and yes they are very light, too light for me, I prefer medium to heavy guitars. Jack.

Comment

If I recall correctly they were poplar wings with a maple neck through back in the day. Of course, I'm probably wrong, so hopefully someone can verify.

Comment

Paddok, you are correct. The early San Dimas Jacksons had poplar body wings, versus alder which is used today. Poplar is a good bit heavier than alder, so there's your answer. However, even guitars made out of the same woods can have drastically different weights, due to density among other factors. Just look at Les Pauls. Most are built out of mahogany with a maple top and they weigh from a low of 8lbs to a high over 12lbs! A lot of people (myself included) believe that the lighter ones sound better. This may or may not be true. As far as the Rhoads are concerned the early San Dimas ones have a very distinctive tone, due in small part to the poplar body wings, string-through design, large tunamatic, and the skinny but tall frets.

Comment

I should also add that mine had a Schaller Floyd, which had been changed as the original was supposed to be a Khaler licensed copy. The mod was done properly.

I'm trying to figure out a way to get that guitar back...

Comment

Best of luck bro,sounds like a great guitar,I know what it's like to want an old guitar back,damn sellers remorse,I hope you get your axe!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

It's one of only a few musical "regrets" that I have.

Regards

Comment

Working...
              X