Jazz'R on the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz'R on the way

Am I right in thinking that this is a pretty nice top/back set for a Jazz'R? From the photos it looks like about as nice a job of bookmatching a quilt top as I've ever seen and the quilt itself doesn't look too shabby either. I can't wait to get it and see if it looks as good in person! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Re: Jazz\'R on the way

That quilt looks awesome [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Id like to know how you like it when you get it. Very classy looking.

Comment

Sweet mama that thing is just elegant. I have always been interested in the Jazz'r. When you get it if you are able to post some clips of it? Love to hear how it sounds. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

THAT...is flat out gorgeous!

Comment

YES! YOU'RE RIGHT
          And it's probably going to look even better than the photo.
          And by the way I HATE YOU! I have wanted one of these since they came out. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Please give us a full report when you receive it. That is beautiful. Congrats. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

They have discontinued the Jazz"R" haven't they?

Comment

I seem to recall hearing that these were discontinued but I'm not certain. This one has been bouncing around in the high-dollar blues/bluegrass collector/player crowd for a while now. I've spoken to a couple of its previous owners and they both absolutely loved the guitar and couldn't believe it could possibly be available for such a stupid cheap price (keep in mind that both of these guys are regular Gibson Custom Shop / PRS Private Stock buyers). The bottom line: as good a fit-and-finish as they'd ever seen, amazingly well built, absolutely stunning in person, but "the neck is so thin I can't play it with my arthritis" (from *both* of them). Note to Jackson: you absolutely nailed your market with the design of these and your price point is unbeatable but you need to stop putting shredder necks on old fart guitars if you really want to crack that market.

Looks like it'll be a week or so before it arrives. I'll definitely post pics & a review after I've spent some time with it (sorry no recordings, I'm not set up right now).

I do have a few more pics that I didn't post. I didn't really think there'd be that much interest in this one:

[ March 17, 2004, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: YetAnotherOne ]
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

IIRC that sounds about right on the MSRP. I really don't remember but that would put them on the street at prices fairly competitve with a better Les Paul or PRS so it seems about right.

Spruce is an excellent tonewood and is very commonly used in tops for acoustic instruments but I can't recall ever seeing a solid body electric with a spruce body. I do think you're right in that I also expect it to be very resonant. We'll see ... but not soon enough. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

[ March 17, 2004, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: YetAnotherOne ]

Comment

Very nice looking guitar, Brad! The Jazz'R is definitely a chambered body. Guitar Asylum.com has some good info on the Swee-Tone series.

Did you find out what the neck profile is? I think I remember KE telling me that there were actually SIX different profiles when they made them. The most common was the V. That was the profile that was on the Bent Top that I had for a couple weeks.

Comment

Thanks Fritz! I'm not sure what the neck profile is. Honestly I never bother to ask because I'm OK with most anything. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

If I had that guitar I'd fuck its brains out.

Interesting that it has a thin neck, the other single cut Jackson, the JJPs, have chunky ones.

Spruce is a resonant tonewood, so it would make sense that it be chambered

Comment

Yup - "Secret Tone Chambers" was how they were billed on the old site.

Congrats on that one - it's truly Sweet! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If I could find one of those in that body style (they had 3 different Jazz'R shapes) with the KV2T inlays, I'd be all over it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That's the only shape a Jazz'R comes in. Jazz'R is the model name. You might be thinking about the Swee-Tone line, which the Jazz'R is a part of.

I only remember there being two neck options, but I could be wrong since they were basically full customs. There was an old style V shape, more pronounced than the JJ profile and a bit thicker. There was also one based on a '58 or '59 LP (can't recall which). I LOVED that neck profile. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

If anyone's looking for one, Kevin has a couple available. I've seen quite a few of these things and they ALL look better in person.

Comment

That is super sweet!!! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] According to the 2002 catalog, those were available with two different neck profiles. The standard neck is .910 @ 3rd / .950 @ 12th. The slim neck is .790 @ 3rd / .830 @ 12th.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X