SL2H input jack lemon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H input jack lemon.

My friend and fellow guitarist Willman_51 bought a trans black SL2H ohhh...back in the fall. Now I didn't know there was a problem with the thing until now, and I got to witness the pain in the ass that is an input jack that won't hold the cord in securely.

You can't push the 1/4 inch cable all the way into the guitar so that it "snaps" and stays put. No matter how hard to push it in, or whatever. It is frikken annoying...because you're trying to record..sitting at the computer and the damn thing falls out with the slightest wrong bump....

he needs to get this fixed...the guitar is perfect otherwise. How difficult is it to replace and input jack on one of htese guitars?

we're using George L cables by the way.

Re: SL2H input jack lemon.

It's very easy. If you have passive pickups it's a regular mono jack. With actives it's a regular stereo jack. Shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to change it.

Comment

Before you break out the wire clippers, try this...

Flip it around. ...Yes, it might be that simple. I had the same exact problem once. Just undo the two mounting screws, turn the jack around 180 degrees, and screw it back it in.

It worked for me. Never had another problem. Give it a try first.

Don't ask me why this worked, though. I don't have an answer. I'm guessing the jack might be too close to the route in the body on one side. Maybe one or the other is slightly angled? Hence, preventing the jack from having enough "give" to snap the chord in securely. That's a half-assed guess, though. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

If it is just falling out easy, then the metal contact arm inside just needs to be bent a little to put pressure on the plug. Remove the jackup, look at the jack with no plug in it. Gently bend the long metal conact just a little and test the plug. Adjust it until it holds the plug firmly, but also allows for easy removal. If you tighten it too much, you will have a hard time unplugging it.

Comment

I think Jim is right. I have had that happen a few times.

Matt

Comment

thanks for the help guys. I'll send this thread to him.

Comment

I'm with shreddermon on this.If the plug is not snapping in all the way it's very possible that the contact arm is to close to the wood and not allowing it to move back or open up far enough to let the plug through all the way.
              unscrew the mounting plate and pull the unit out some (carefully, there should be enough wire)try putting the plug in.If it connects properly out of the guitar the jack is ok and just needs to be turned until it can function properly.

Comment

Easily correctable.... I'd do what Shred suggested, then if that doesn't work what Jim said.

I've had to bend the arm a bit more to get one to stay in, it's no big deal really.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Wow, I really need to start advertising my services. I could fix that in 5 minutes at most, and I could probably charge $15 for something like that.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I'll do it for $12 [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Wow, I really need to start advertising my services. I could fix that in 5 minutes at most, and I could probably charge $15 for something like that.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Open a store [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X