Lots o' pickup questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots o' pickup questions

Could be a good plan. I can't comment on the LiveWires, but if that's the way ya wanna go [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Lots o\' pickup questions

The situation: I have a DK2 with the duncan designed (they're really not so bad), an SL2H with the stock duncans, and I placed an order last month with Kevin for a SL1 that will also have the stock duncans. Off the bat I will have the same TB4 in both the SL1 and the SL2H. I am thinking about varying my pickup combinations to give a wider variety of sounds.

1. Has anyone tried the matched Duncan Metal LiveWire set in the SL2H? How are they in comparison to the EMG set? I hear they are even more brutal than the EMGs.

2. How does the duncan STK S1 sound in comparison to the '59? My guess is they are pretty close?

3. Do the STK S1's give that classic strat "quack" sound?

4. My idea is to turn the SL2H into my ultra heavy metal guitar with the LiveWires and leave the SL1 stock. I think the TB4 sounds great for all purpose work and I am guessing the STK S1s are also fine for all round work. I would probably put the '59 from the SL2H in the DK2. Sound like a good plan?

Keep it loud!

Ken

Comment

Re: Lots o\' pickup questions

Well the LiveWires are indeed brutal, problem is you get a very poor clean sound, something that isnt an issue with the EMGs.

Personally i'd have an EMG 81 in the bridge for a nice balance but if Duncans are the sound you want why not consider a Duncan Distortion?, very heavy with a great tone.

Have a listen to their sound samples......

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...MetalHumbucker

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far!

Any comments on the STKs vs. the '59 in the neck position?

I am still leaning toward making the SL2H the heavy metal guitar and want the most brutal pickups I can get. Clean sounds are not important as I hope the SL1 can give me the perfect clean sounds.

I guess the reason I want the brutal distortion is my growing interest in a version of techno-metal, that sounds sorta like a really pissed off NIN on a killing spree. Maybe this interest will pass...

Anyway, thanks again and keep the comments rolling!

Ken

Comment

I'd say go with EMGs. 85b/81n (or 60). Wire them at 18 volts and, if you want even more brutality, add EMG PA2 preamp. This way you can have extreme output from the pickups, and clean sound if you want it. And no hum whatsoever. Just my opinion.

Comment

My Model A had Two Live Wires in it. I can honestly say if you want an all around guitar you will definitely want to go another route. The Live wires have a killer distortion/sustain for metal but blow major ass for anything clean/bluesy/jazzy.... Hope that helps.

Comment

You CAN get a decent metal-lead sound out of the Live Wires, but you've got to fiddle around with it a bit... it isn't a fully clean tone though. The live wires are too high gain.

I'd go with the EMG 85b/81n wired at 18v as suggested. Unless you're going to run more than 20ft of guitar cable, the PA2 is overkill with the pickups wired in 18v, at least for me.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by metafaza:
                I'd say go with EMGs. 85b/81n (or 60). Wire them at 18 volts and, if you want even more brutality, add EMG PA2 preamp. This way you can have extreme output from the pickups, and clean sound if you want it. And no hum whatsoever. Just my opinion.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have to agree. I had a PA2 in my RR for a while and had more tone than I knew what to do with. Unfortunately some idiot I loaned my guitar to for a gig broke off the switch and now its totally useless. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks so far guys!

It seems to me the LiveWires aren't the "players choice" for brutal metal distortion, even though they are supposedly hotter. I have no problem going with EMGs, in fact they were my obvious first choice until I heard about the LiveWires.

Anyone else have opinions on the LiveWires in a Jackson soloist?

Thanks again, Ken

Comment

I also like the JB in the bridge of my SL2H for all purpose use, but I also reccomend the Duncan Distortion for passive super metal and EMG 85 for super metal. Now if you use alot of processing, I would go with the more neutral 81. I don`t use middle and neck pickups, so they basically take up space ina guitar for me. Good luck-Jack.

Comment

If you like the sound of Duncans, I'd consider the Distortion. Beautifully lush distortion that still cleans up nicely. EMGs are cool also, but they change the sound considerably from Duncans.

Comment

Hate to be the party crasher, but doesn't this belong in tech q&a?

Oh and if I were you, I'd try the Adder Plus Corporation's Persuader humbuckers.

- Rune.

Comment

Yeah! Wrong Forum! [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well, thanks for the replies. I confess I never even knew the Tech Q&A board existed until now. Knowing this now I apologize for the OT post and will take the burden to punish myself-

(Kwcbv spanks himself, Kwcbv says "Oooh, again" Kwcbv spanks himself again, Kwcbv says "Ooh baby, harder", Kwcbv slaps his face, says "What's my name ***** ...." Kwcbv adjouns to an isolated place to continue...")

Thanks for the replies, I will probably pick up the EMG ZW set.

Thanks again, Kwcbv (smoking a cigarette...)

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You'll fit right in here, man! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X