Difference betw SL1 / SL2 / SL3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Difference betw SL1 / SL2 / SL3?

On the same token, you can find used USA Jackson Soloist's and early Ontario Jacksons for around the same price as a new SL-3.

As far as value and quality, I'd personally go with the used USA [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Or better yet price wise would be a Charvel Model 6 or 650. The quality on these instruments is incredible. Still a rosewood board though.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'll definitely go for the used USA SL1 if one turns up, and I am in the process of getting a Model 6 or 650 (see my thread in the Imported Charvel board)

Thanks once again.

Comment

Leo, I think the admins took down your thread in the imports section, probably because the title had the appearance of a "Want to Buy" classified ad. There have been some problems with people joining the board just for the purpose of posting ads, so they made it so you had to be an active member with 100 or so posts before posting ads. They may have left a private message about it for you. You can see if they did by checking your profile page.

I posted in that thread that you may also want to check out some of the other neck-through Charvels, like the Model 5 (2 hum), 5A (1 hum), 5FX (hum, single), or the 550XL. Hopefully, more choices means you have a better chance of finding a good deal. The 750XL is another one you may want to check out. It's a set-neck archtop. Awesome guitars.

Another difference between the USA Soloists and the Charvels (not sure about the SL3 & SL4) is the neck. The USA Soloists have quartersawn necks which are supposedly more stable & have different tone characteristics than normal "plank" construction. I'm not sure about the tone thing, and all I know is that I haven't had any problems with neck stability on my Model 6.

Comment

dg: thanks for the heads up, I was wondering where my thread was [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I'll also look into the other models you mentioned, thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

As for construction, I'm not sure about now, but back when the plant was originally set up in 1986, the construction techniques were pretty much identical to the guitars that were made here, just wood selection and quantity produced per batch were different. From 1986 up until the mid ninties, the hardware was identical too, but that's changed though.

Dunno about actual construction, but from playing one of the newer DKMGs, I was pretty impressed with the lastest Japanese build quality.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Lantz:
                it’s
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe:
                  As for construction, I'm not sure about now, but back when the plant was originally set up in 1986, the construction techniques were pretty much identical to the guitars that were made here, just wood selection and quantity produced per batch were different. From 1986 up until the mid ninties, the hardware was identical too, but that's changed though.

Dunno about actual construction, but from playing one of the newer DKMGs, I was pretty impressed with the lastest Japanese build quality.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So from 86 on, when would be the cut-off point (if one can be identified) for those more-or-less-US-quality ones?

I am very impressed with the current MIJ Jacksons too, I bought a DK2S from Lloyd at GuitarExpress (great customer service), and that's what made me want to find out more about Jackson/Charvels, 'cause I am very impressed with the build quality of my DK2S.

Played a MIJ SL3 a few days ago, and it feels even better than my DK2S, so I am eager to get my hands on a USA Jackson or Charvel (or its quality equivalent) to see how good these guitars can get. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

As far as the older ones with high quality hardware, check out the first post in the Import Charvel Bluebook thread for a pretty good listing. I'm not as familiar with more recent models, but I've heard mostly good things about the Model A, A+, Journeyman, and Standard. These are all bolt-on models. Whatever you do, stay away from Charvettes. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As far as the SL3 & SL4, I agree with LPC. You can find late '80s or early '90s USA models for similar money. I think alot of the import Soloists (and imports in general) are sold because people are on a budget and don't want to buy used or just have to have that flamed veneer. You see it all the time when people ask for advice about what to buy & just ignore everyone telling them about all the great deals on used stuff, especially Jacksons. Oh well, more for the rest of us! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by dg:

As far as the SL3 & SL4, I agree with LPC. You can find late '80s or early '90s USA models for similar money. I think alot of the import Soloists (and imports in general) are sold because people are on a budget and don't want to buy used or just have to have that flamed veneer. You see it all the time when people ask for advice about what to buy & just ignore everyone telling them about all the great deals on used stuff, especially Jacksons. Oh well, more for the rest of us! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll definitely get an used USA SL1 if one turns up, thanks for all the good info [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X