Let's discuss Soloist pinch harmonic issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let\'s discuss Soloist pinch harmonic issues

Well guys, thanks for all your help. I thought maybe my axe was just wierd or something. Sounds like it's just a quirk of the neck-thru construction, ebony board, and that unholy low action.

Comment

I've noticed my pinches varie on the bridge I'm using.
      I can pull pinches off on a tune-o-matic style bridge like nothing, but I don't think I've ever been able to pinch on a kahler or floyd consistantly. String size doesn't typically effect me though.

Comment

I think it's electronics. I have 3 LP's, and my Historic is the sqealer. Burstbucker 2, with 550K pots seems to do the trick. My LP Standard with Burstbucker Pros can't sqeal nearly as easily, but I haven't upgraded the pots and caps in that one either.

My Jap DK2 with a Duncan Designed JB in it can't keep up with this guitar either.

What pickups have you tried? I'd suggest something wound to about 8.5K with Alnico 2 magnets. At least this has worked for me. I also get a fat bottom end, perfect for EVH stuff. I just wish this LP had a whammy sometimes (not all the time). And don't forget to upgrade your pots and caps! having a 250K pot will kill your high end. SD recomends this on a JB to cut harshness, but you kill the high end as well. That's what volume and tone pots are for!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          Light touch. You shouldn't have to dig in...

[/ QUOTE ]
          Before Zakk was heard of, Lynch was the squealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

True true!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, there is also this long bearded dude from Dallas who has based an entire style on pinch harmonics...I am pretty sure he was ripping them off when Zakk was crapping his diapers and Lynch was still popping zits. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Action makes a big difference too. The lower the action the less your harmonics will come through. Your amp will make a big difference also. My KV2 never had very good pinch harmonics and it has EMG's. I just got a JSX and now that thing squeals like a pig.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              Light touch. You shouldn't have to dig in...

[/ QUOTE ]
              Before Zakk was heard of, Lynch was the squealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

True true!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, there is also this long bearded dude from Dallas who has based an entire style on pinch harmonics...I am pretty sure he was ripping them off when Zakk was crapping his diapers and Lynch was still popping zits. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! A Pearly Gates pickup is very similar to a BB2 - both wound to around 8.5K, both with Alnico pickups.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Your amp will make a big difference also. My KV2 never had very good pinch harmonics and it has EMG's. I just got a JSX and now that thing squeals like a pig.

[/ QUOTE ]
                That is also very true. My Carvin SC90 doesn't get very good pinch harmonics through my Mesa F30 for some reason but does through my old Marshall Valvestate and my little home-made living room rig with a little Carvin power amp and cheap DOD floor processor.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I can get the best squels with my my EMG equipped ESP (set-neck). It's just a combination of everything.. bodywood, pick-ups, amp, setting etc etc
                  "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I can get the best squels with my my EMG equipped ESP (set-neck). It's just a combination of everything.. bodywood, pick-ups, amp, setting etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]
                    i'd have to agree with this,,,,,athough,for me its my neck-thru Warrior,,,but i can squeal all day on my skully soloist too. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Harmonics are at the same location on the string on every guitar. The same location isn't necessarily at the same spot you hold your hand with each different guitar. Hand placement is everything with pinch harmonics.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Harmonics are at the same location on the string on every guitar. The same location isn't necessarily at the same spot you hold your hand with each different guitar. Hand placement is everything with pinch harmonics.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        yes you`re right but the range of the spot seems to be smaller on NT guitars for me too, so its a little harder to hit them exactly...
                        but overall there`s so many influences on nice pinchs...
                        and for the amps
                        best harmonics i get with my old JCM900 combo but other than these it sound like crap [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

with all due respect, I think you might be doing it wrong. especially if changing pickups didn't help it...
                          I think it's easier to achieve a stronger pinch harmonic if you have EMG actives rather than the fairly low output JB/59.
                          woods/construction in thise case should have much less impact than electronics IMO.

good luck to ya [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have also noticed the difference in pinching from my dinkys to my soloist. The soloist requires me to adjust the attack angle with the pick a little to get her to squeal. I am not a heavy handed guitar player, so I really don't dig into the pinch on any guitar.
                            Jackson: DK1
                            Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Comment

y2kv could easily do pinches...kv2 on the other hand..not too easy.

Comment

I have a Kramer Stagemaster Custom from 1987, and I have the same issues. It's an ebony fretbord neckthru guitar just like the Soloist and I can't get the fucking loud harmonics of Zakk. It has its sweet spots also, and is sweet as any soloist can be, maybe sweeter!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X