Help, 10-60's!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, 10-60's!!!

I have a SL2H-MAH and have put on some 10-60's but can't tune it to standard e so im at d flat. because the springs can't compensate, will a 4th spring fix this?? Other than that i love this guitar.. might as well right a little review.

Just looking at the guitar it is visually stunning, the best looking tb flame tops ive ever seen, the inlay work is supreme, the mother of pearl just gleams... The neck is why I bought it... nothing just feels like the soloist does.. enough for me to grab on to but my fingers can still fly up down that beautiful peice of ebony. Fret work is awesome.. there was a little glue left under the frets that was visible looking from the body towards the headstock... but that gives it a handcrafted feel. The pickups are ok... but im going to put in a set up adder plus.. The way the guitar hangs on me is awesome such a comfortable position for my hand sitting and standing... the mahagony is a little heavier than my alder charvel, but the warmth and richness of it makes up for it... The only thing that bugged me was out of the case the trem wouldn't compress because there wass to much clear coat around the base plate... and inside the cavities it is quite messy.. i just expected a little more in that department from a 2700$ guitar...

over all i really couldn't be happier [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

20/10 it was definately worth it

Re: Help, 10-60\'s!!!

I really wouldn't recommend putting 60s on a floyd...but i think an extra spring as well as further adjustment to your spring claw should help.

Comment

Yeah, the 60's aren't ideal for the floyd but i love the feel and sound of them... btw what do u mean by adjustment of the spring claw? Plus i got 4 sets of em... so i might as well set it now..

Comment

Add the fourth spring - tune to desired tuning.

If the Floyd still leans forward, loosen the strings, tighten the two spring-claw screws one full turn, tune to desired tuning.

Repeat until Floyd sits level to the body when fully tuned.

Be forewarned: With those heavy strings, you will most likely need to really crank those claw-screws til your wrists bleed.

If ya still can't get the trem level - add a fifth spring and start the process again.
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

i think you should add the spring (or two) before turning the spring claw screws...im using LTHB strings and i already have 5 springs in there.
          also, be sure to tighten both of the screws equally, meaning if you tighten one 3/4 of the way, do the same to the other one.

Comment

oh and it's Definitely... [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Dayum! A 60 is an awfully heavy string to tune to standard E in! Hell, that's what I use for one of my Jacksons that's in drop-C, and that feels pretty 'normal' to me. Doesn't it feel kinda tight (even when properly set up) on the low end of your strings at all? I would think that'd feel taut as hell...

Comment

geez, and I thought LT-HB 52-10s in standard tuning on a 25.5" scale was pushing it on the tension mismatch scale!

Comment

I have the same strings on an RR1 and 2 different KVs. It is a pain setting up the Floyd with those that heavy of a gauge. I didn't have to add another spring (the stock 3 springs did the trick). But like NOR mentioned above, I had to tighten the screws almost all the way into the body.

On a side note I also put 60's on a neck-thru BC Rich Warlock and I have to add another spring to the floyd. With the screws tightened in all the way I could only get to straight A tuning before the floyd would start to become unlevel. I have to add another spring now and keep trying.

Floyds are such a pain for me. I have to set aside hours to set them up. I usually tune to B and use the heavy gauge, so it takes me a ton of time to initially set them up for that tuning/ gauge combo.

Comment

yeah, when I threw teh same sized strings that you have on my RR3 I had to adjust the screws that on teh claw that holds the tension springs. It's actually a little lopsided, but it hasn't been out of tune since I adjusted it. 60's rock! I'm tuned to C though. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Tuning to e or d# with 10-60 gauge can't be to good for a 25.5 scale guitar. It puts mucho pressure on the trem posts which wears out the Floyd and puts mucho pressure on the neck. Your truss rod is working overtime bro. 24.75 scale seems to handle it ok but 25.5 is really pushing it.

Comment

Gibson's were shipped with 10-56 in the 60's but modern bridges can't handle much more than a 52 tuned to standard E.

Comment

True, and Gibsons have huge set necks and are 24.75 short scale.

Comment

Now you have me worried, a KV or RR tuned all the way down to B with 60s won’t put too much pressure on the neck will it?

Comment

Now you have me worried, a KV or RR tuned all the way down to B with 60s won’t put too much pressure on the neck will it?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i had 13:56 for C tuning on my neck rhoads , it needed a fourth floyd spring , but the neck was still straight as with 48 to e .

Comment

Working...
                              X