Whole piece koa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole piece koa

How does it sound? Or is it more economic to have a flame koa top instead?

Re: Whole piece koa

Koa is one of the best sounding woods out there. It is one of the main reasons that original Gibson Vs and Explorers are in such demand (other than their rarity.) It is an amazing tone wood. Whether or not it produces a tone that is pleasing to you is another story. Go out and try a koa guitar and see what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyD:
      Koa is one of the best sounding woods out there. It is one of the main reasons that original Gibson Vs and Explorers are in such demand (other than their rarity.) It is an amazing tone wood. Whether or not it produces a tone that is pleasing to you is another story. Go out and try a koa guitar and see what you think.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think your talking about Korina........
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

yep those early V & explorers where Korina not KOA. Koa sounds great tho. i have a koa BCRich eagle & have had other koa riches. its sounds great slightly brighter & not as muddy as mahogany but very similar in tone. it is getting expensive when you can even get it. i know BCRich wont do solid koa sides anymore & i think carvin is the only ones still offering for a SET price not that call for price shit.

Comment

That Charvel Koa model looks pretty sweet. only charvel I really like.

Comment

I've played a tung oil finished neckthru Carvin with ebony board. One of my favorite guitars. Awesome tone and feel. Try before you buy........ [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

I like Koa, but actually would chose Korina if I had the choice for a guitar wood. Both are pretty rare. Here's my Koa soloist...

Comment

My only experience is with a Koa top. It belongs on one of the best sounding instruments I have ever had the pleasure of playing, my Hamer Mirage. It is a mahogany body/neck with a flame Koa top. The koa adds some nice midrange to the full tone of the mahogany. From what I understand, koa as a whole body wood has the warmth and sustain of mahogany while being clear and open like alder. For an example, my Mirage is right of center.

Comment

[img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Hey Brett, would you mind telling me how much does a whole piece koa custom SL1 w/ natural finish like yours cost? I'm planning to get a custom Jackson, and your axe is exactly what's been haunting lately in my mind. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Btw, is it hard for Jackson to get a whole piece koa?

Comment

..I have a 1-piece Koa Strat body that sounds awesome. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Nice lows, fat mids and an even, articulate high end, not at all harsh or grating. I'd recommend it.

Comment

Hey Brett, would you mind telling me how much does a whole piece koa custom SL1 w/ natural finish like yours cost?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think list is about $4500 or so. Use that custom shop spec link on their site and figure it out.

Brett

Comment

that charvel in the middle looks kickin [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Working...
                        X