Got that USA SLS from Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got that USA SLS from Ebay

And man, this thing looks tons better in person than in the pics the seller had [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

It's just like my JacksonStars NASL, but there is one issue that is very noticeable - they routed the neck pickup's bass-side leg channel too deep, and you can see it at the right angle in the back of the body [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, the rosewood board is beautiful and very rich in color, and the paintjob itself is super sweet - not sure if it's Burnt Cherry Burst or Tobacco Burst - I'm inclined to think it's Burnt Cherry because of the cherry red ring.

Anyhoo, the DiMarzio's in it are nice - the neck model seems a bit "Stratty" when distorted, but deep and Jazzy when clean [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

And the frets are tall and thin [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Got that USA SLS from Ebay

Hey Newc, I thought you hated candy-@ss "pretty" transparent tops? [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] j/k

That's a real nice flame top on there. Definitely Burnt Cherry Burst, and a sweet one at that. ...I'd ditch the cream PU bezels, though. Maybe chrome, instead?

...Waiting for a RacerX comment on "cheapo" rosewood fretboard. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I dig it, though.

Comment

I don't like the flame/trans tops on pointy guitars (Warriors, Vs, etc etc) - on Strats and Les Pauls it's ok, but a trans flametop wimps out a Warrior, Kelly, RR/KV, and other aggressive-bodied guitars [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

You paid $400 (or around that price), right? Damn. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] That rosewood board is so smooth-looking. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

$525 shipped [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

That looks sweet. I would get id of the cream rings too. My eyes seem to want to go right to them and they kinda take away from the flame and the finish. I would do black pup rings instead. Chrome would do the same thing as the cream and take away from the rest of the top. Black wont do that. What's the neck feel like? Is it like a Stealth or a Soloist profile?
            Gil

Comment

I've never played a Stealth [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
              It's more like an RR1 (like the NASL neck)

Newc

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon:
                ...Waiting for a RacerX comment on "cheapo" rosewood fretboard. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know how to "ebonize the hillbilly way" now [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

(in joke w/ me and mm2002)
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hey NEWC, can you post pics of your Jacksonstars NASL guitars??? I really really want to see them!!!!! Thanx!!!!!

Comment

Newc,

That looks like Sunburst to me. I'd definately go with black bezels and black metal knobs. Very nice and a great deal I think also. Good luck with it !

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

That's a nice guitar newc.

Comment

Diospada - I've only got the one JacksonStars - I wish I could get a bunch more [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

This pic of the fretboard is actually lighter than in real life - it's really very dark rosewood - but the pic is very close to the SLS's fretboard real color.
                        And those inlays are Mother of Pearl with an abalone stripe, and are exclusive to the NASL model [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

This is a pic I grabbed from the Japanese Jackson site, but mine is identical to this one.

Specs:
                        Mahogany neck through mahogany body wings
                        Rosewood board with NASL Custom inlays
                        Duncan JB neck/Custom Bridge
                        Genuine Schaller Floyd/gold hardware
                        Volume knob replaced with a push/pull to split the neck pickup.
                        Binding on neck and head (unlike the SLS, which only has it on the neck)
                        Antique CherryBurst finish over real flamed maple top

The funny thing is, when I bought the NASL, it only came with a gig bag, so I bought a hardshell case to go with it. The SLS came in the EXACT same case (non-Jackson - I think it's a TKL?)

Newc

Comment

Very nice Matt, beautiful finish on there!! Congrats! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave->
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

That JacksonStars Nasl is unbelievable!!! How does the neck play?? I don't know if you've played on the dkmg guitar before, is the nasl neck identical with the dkmg????

I wish I can travel to Japan and get some guitars over there.

Comment

Thanks Budman [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dio - I haven't played the DKMG, but if the neck on that is anything like the DK-2, then I'd say they're not as thin as the SLS/NASL - I had a 97 RR1 for a short while, and these necks are closer to that - very thin [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              I think the NASL's neck might be a little thinner, but not by much.

Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X