Custom shop natural finish question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom shop natural finish question

If I want a custom natural finish, how many options are there? I only know about natural gloss, but what are the other choices? And what are the pros and cons for each option?

By the way, is it true that a natural finish has a better tone?

Re: Custom shop natural finish question

I am not sure about tone, but I just love Natural finishes on Mahogany and KOA and Walnut, just awsome!! Man i want a JJ-2 in Natural Mahogany [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

In the Jackson catalog, there are several natural finishes listed. For example, there's one called "au natural." I've never heard of a guitar in that finish. I wonder what the difference is between that and "Natural"?

Comment

Whatever color natural you want, they will do. Have a look at Carvin's site and look at the color chart. Or look at WD or Warmoth's site for a good selection of what different woods look like. What kind of natural wood finish do you want? Mahogany will be reddish brown, koa will be a medium to dark brown, alder will be a light brown, maple will be a light brownish/yellow look.

For a custom shop, you can get whatever natural finish with a regular gloss over it, a matte satin gloss, or an oil finish (tung oil is most common), gunstock oil, danish oil, etc. Oil finished guitars are a satin-type of finish that will require maintenance by putting on more oil every couple of years.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
        X