Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My beautiful girl Shannon... pics included. Yes, I know the drill!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My beautiful girl Shannon... pics included. Yes, I know the drill!

Joining Kelly is my new girl Shannon. Hmmm... they almost sound like real girl names... Kelly Jackson and Shannon Jackson. Sexy sisters or something. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Anyways, firstly, here are the pictures, because that's the protocol on the JCF:

I tried some different photography techniques to capture this round of photos. I attempted to try different exposure levels using natural light. That MOP is impossible to capture beautifully, so I ditched those shots. I think the ones above came out rather nice. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

So, here's some info just in case the admins would like to include my pics in the JCF Gallery. The serial number is UO6248, making it an Ontario 1998 model according to the serial number chart. I think it's 1 of 52 black Shannon Soloists ever made, according to what I remember Brett saying. I don't have very much detailed information, but you guys all know more about it anyways. I'll provide what I can. The bridge hum is a DiMarzio Super 3 and the two single coils are Seymour Duncan Hot Rails. The bridge and neck pickups are splittable using the 5-way blade switch. Mike Shannon's signature is on the back of the headstock, as to be expected.

The guitar was purchased from jonsgon, and here's the Feedback thread about it:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...;f=19;t=000107

My comments and first impressions... likely to change over the next few days though:

This is my first USA Jackson, my first neckthrough guitar, my first DiMarzio, my first Original Floyd Rose, my first non-recessed trem, my first chrome hardware on an electric guitar (my RG560 and KE3 have all-black hardware), my first ebony board, my first guitar with binding AND binding-over-frets, my first regular sharkfin inlays, my first MOP inlays, and my only current electric guitar with passive pickups.

Strangely enough, I expected more bite and growl out of these pickups. I'm not sure I want to change them though. My KE3 is a tone monster. I love high-powered pickups using medium gain settings for my classic crunch style tone. Somehow, the Dimarzio and Duncans aren't cutting it.

The frets are REALLY nice. The fret ends are round and soft as if it had been nicely worn in or something. I haven't found any dead spots anywhere on the neck. The neck is comfortable and easy to move around on, although I still think my KE3 has the PERFECT neck profile to me (I'll have to compare both side-by-side this weekend... a grueling catfight between Kelly and Shannon for my love, heheheh).

The ebony board seems pretty light... my RG560 and KE3 have unusually dark rosewood boards that almost rival this ebony board.

The OFR is really cool... I do prefer a recessed trem for those extreme upbends though. The OFR feels like the Ibanez Edge trem, both the highest quality trems in MY eyes. A slightly nicer feel than the JT580LP on my KE3, but the JT580LP is a great trem to me too.

The Shannon is REALLY lightweight (of course, I'm used to the size and weight of the KE3).

The chrome hardware actually looks pretty damn good on this guitar... no plans to swap them out for black.

The condition is practically mint... my mom was impressed with the purchase since she knows that my other guitars all have minor cosmetic flaws.

Oh yeah, the hardshell case is frigging nice too. But who wants to see that?

I think the guitar is currently strung with 9s. Maybe that's why I'm not getting the usual big tone that I love. I prefer 10s in standard tuning... we'll see what the improvements are after I make fine adjustments. I'm also going to restring it "properly" as I like it, as in not putting the ball-ends at the headstock like in picture #4. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I will be keeping this guitar in E, downtuning my KE3 to D (what a metal monster that will be!!), and hopefully my soon-to-arrive DK27 baritone from JCFer Matt Crooks will be tuned UP to C. If I cannot get rid of my RG560, I'll unblock the Edge trem and put the guitar in Eb. No plans to immediately sell the RG560 yet though, so please don't make any offers yet... not that you will!

My one major gripe is that the UPS delivery dude charged me like $239.18 Canadian (or something like that) for taxes or duties or something (not jonsgon's fault at all). Damn. I thought paying extra for the shipping from the USA to Canada would cover everything. If UPS always charges these kind of fees, I'm gonna stick with USPS. What do you guys think?

Alright, hope you enjoyed my pics and little preliminary review and first impressions of my Shannon Soloist.

Re: My beautiful girl Shannon... pics included. Yes, I know the drill!

Congrats, that's a sweet one!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Nice guitar...just don't keep it next to that vent!

Comment

Hehehe, I'm rather religious about storing my guitars in their cases when they're not being played. I really wish that vent wasn't there though... would have made the pictures look a little nicer!

Comment

Wow!!! That is gorgeous! If you aren't happy with her let me know! May I ask what you paid for her? Not including the UPS fees. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmm...Jon, is that the one I smashed and you fixed up?
            J/K! Nice stuff!

Comment

Dude!!! I have that very same guitar. Black Shannon Ltd. Ed. USA

It is a sweet guitar. I have to say that compared with my other SL1, the Shannon has a special vibe to it.

If anyone is interested, mine is for sale. :-(

Enjoy and be nice to my niece.

Joe
              Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Total of $905.50 American shipped to Canada from the US. I even happily and willingly paid for jonsgon's PayPal fee... I believe in helping out a brother. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Even with the $239.18 Canadian for the taxes/duties, I still think it's worth it. Although it's not so much a "steal" as it is a "fair price" now, but still worth it.

I think the only thing unhappy right now is the guitar herself... she's not being played and will not be played until the weekend, because I am SWAMPED with homework this week. I think I'll cancel my Friday night plans and stay in to spend some quality time with Shannon... *wah-chicka-wow-wow* [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Steeler:
                  If anyone is interested, mine is for sale. :-(
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I believe JCFer hammer is looking for one, as well as wulfe13 who posted above. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Damn, Chuck, you nearly scared me for a second there. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But then I realized that I had thoroughly inspected the guitar even before plugging her in (that takes patience right there, folks!) and found no faults. *breath of relief* [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah Joe let me know how much and if ya got pics. I'd love to have a Shannon. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmm, wait a minute... I think it was Hammer who wanted one, but tmdiamond's name also seems to pop into my mind as well...

Comment

Very nice, NOTP. Congrats!
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Nice dude

Congrats!

Comment

there is no duty on american made guitars just taxes and you have to pay ups a brokerage fee for bringing it across the border plus the taxes are on the amount the guitar was insured for in canadian funds

Comment

Working...
                              X