Factory repair on a brand new Sl2h?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Factory repair on a brand new Sl2h?

I am agree with you, the best is to send the guitar back to Jackson, but as you noticed it, I live in France and the cheapest and fastest way to solve this issue is to bring the guitar to a luthier.

Hopefully, there is a master luthier that I know pretty well and that could fix it.

I am just surprised that Jackson let this guitar go.

Comment

Just make sure that you don't get it messed about with, realise that it can't be fixed, but then find that you've invalidated the warranty.....
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        but there may not be enough play in the route to move the trem 1-2 mm sideways as looks to be needed.....

[/ QUOTE ]

1mm seems enough. But this also enough to bother you while you are playing. Strings alignment is one of the most difficult step in a guitar building and you have to do that very carefully.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          but there may not be enough play in the route to move the trem 1-2 mm sideways as looks to be needed.....

[/ QUOTE ]

1mm seems enough. But this also enough to bother you while you are playing. Strings alignment is one of the most difficult step in a guitar building and you have to do that very carefully.

[/ QUOTE ]
          I know (See profile if you want to know why [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Just make sure that you don't get it messed about with, realise that it can't be fixed

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure that it can be fixed. This luthier that I am talking about has replaced two other tremolos for me (Floyd Rose Original instead cheap licensed) on other guitars and he did the job perfectly. I am not worried about.

[ QUOTE ]
            but then find that you've invalidated the warranty...

[/ QUOTE ]
            Yes, I know, but I never ever use the warranty for a guitar. I prefer to bring it to a luthier because I am sure that the guy will do exactly what I what and fix the problem right away.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I know (See profile if you want to know why

[/ QUOTE ]
              Ok, sure you know very well what I am talking about ! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Here is the website of the luthier where I will bring my axe http://www.patrice-blanc.com/

Sorry, it is in French only...

Comment

I had similar problems with a couple of jacksons. I think that's common with them and it ain't right either. Funny but thats the first thing I look for when I look at something new...especially a Jackson, is the trem right and is the nut centered. Why can't they get it right?
                Try this..and you won't have to touch the "actual guitar", so if you want to try with the warranty, you'll at least have a chance. Take a rotary tool and radius the Floyd mounting archs a little to the center and angle them so its smooth. So it rides toward the direction you want. You can't go to deep or it will hit it the front, but it will push it over. If you can't get it right replace the floyd trem and you could still invoke the warranty(?). Then you could wait 14 months for a repair/replacement.

Comment

This is making me le worried. The way things are now I'd rather buy a Ibanez as my next guitar.

Comment

My new DK1 I just bought had some fret leveling and finishing problems. The dealer said they would send it back to get fixed but it would take 3 months to get it back or be replaced. Since it has the finish I wanted (Amber Sunburst), the neck plays great, and it sounds awesome, I decided not to send it back. I took it to a local shop and paid $60.00 for a fret dressing and refinishing. Now it is perfect and I am having a great time! Granted I should not have to payout an additional $60 for a problem that never should have got out of the factory, but I would rather do that than wait 3 months and maybe never get it back. I really dig the guitar and wanted to keep it.

If you are really not that into this guitar, then send it back. If you like it and the issue does not present any playability problems then keep it.
                    Jackson: DK1
                    Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Comment

Dude, I would send that guitar back in a flash!! I have 2 CS Jacksons, and they are pretty darn perfect. I would never accept that bro!! When my 3rd CS Soloist comes in in about 10 months bro, if it ain`t darn near perfect, it goes back pronto, especially with alignment problems. Good luck-Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Whether or not this is common practice would be a good question to pose (politely of course) in the "Ask Jackson" section.

[/ QUOTE ]

"This type of work is available through the Custom Shop"

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I also would return it if it bothered me. It will not get better by itself.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I had similar problems with a couple of jacksons. I think that's common with them and it ain't right either. Funny but thats the first thing I look for when I look at something new...especially a Jackson, is the trem right and is the nut centered. Why can't they get it right? ....

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Unfortunately this seems true... The big question becomes: If Johnson and Co. can get that right on a 100$ guitar, why can´t Jackson get it right [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Just a pic to realize the "misalignment" of tremolo with neck.

CLICK IT (Big size)

I am pretty disappointed with that...

[/ QUOTE ]

Molecule, my SL2H strings run down the neck in EXACTLY the same way based on your photo. Honestly, I didn't know if it was a mistake or just by design. It never bothers me when playing.
                              The offset on mine is the same at the nut and the bridge, so the strings are parallel to the edge of the neck. How about yours?

Comment

Nut is perfect and strings are parallel to the edge of the neck, but the high E string is too much near to the edge of the neck. It bothers me when I play, especially when I do vibrato on a note (on high E string), then sometime it slides off the fretboard.

As I said, I own a KV2, I also a B.C. Rich USA, my pal own a KE2 and I never saw such misalignment. This thing don't have to happen on a high-end guitar ! We are not talking about crappy asian guitars that cost $200 ! We are talking of USA made and about careful work...

I am going to see my luthier tomorrow, I could tell you what he think about that and post pics of guitar after reworking.

Comment

Working...
                                X