Factory repair on a brand new Sl2h?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Factory repair on a brand new Sl2h?

<font color="aqua">sully, come on, not everyone is comfortable with repairing their guitars. He paid a pretty penny for it, he desrves to get one that is built correctly............ </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

i totally don't mean to sound like i'm giving anyone a hard time. i'm mainly trying to visualize what the issue is. i totally agree that he paid good money for it, and it should be worth the money he paid. but if you (or someone else) can fix that issue, it seems to be an easier option than sending it back and waiting for a new one, that's all. i understand that the dealer/tech suggest sending it back, so that's probably best. i'm just trying to figure out what is really the matter with it. i totally don't mean to sound like i'm giving him a hard time.

believe me, i saw one of those mahogany KV's with the sls head on it, and it was chock full of issues and should have been sent back. i know that these things happen, i'm just tryin to get my brain around the issue.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

<font color="aqua">fair enough, but I think if he "could" fix it, this wouldn't have even been brought up. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Whether or not this is common practice would be a good question to pose (politely of course) in the "Ask Jackson" section. I'd assume that John would be a good conduit to provide some feedback to the QC folks. The only way products will ever improve is if the manufacturer is made (gently) aware that they're letting a good deal of substandard goods out the door.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            <font color="aqua">sully, come on, not everyone is comfortable with repairing their guitars. He paid a pretty penny for it, he desrves to get one that is built correctly............ </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my thing Sully,
            I know we all used to gloat about how our guitars were underpriced and we were getting the deal of the century by buying Jackson.
            Then the prices went up to 2 g's and we all bitched about how much they cost.
            The most important part though is that outside of a real one off custom shop, I have never seen better fit and finish than with Jackson.
            Now thats not our fault that Jackson set us up for expecting perfection, thats Jacksons fault.
            I sent my white DK1 back because I felt it was substandard to what I had come to expect from Jackson, as anyone else here should.
            I am quite happy that it hasn't become the norm as my new EDS KE2 is immaculate.... as Jacksons should be!

Comment

don't get me wrong, i've sent a guitar back to them as well (and called the factory every friday until i got it back, too. that was a long 3 months). i'm just trying to figure out what the issue with the guitar is. i'll stop, as i don't mean to make anyone wad up. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                don't get me wrong, i've sent a guitar back to them as well (and called the factory every friday until i got it back, too. that was a long 3 months). i'm just trying to figure out what the issue with the guitar is. i'll stop, as i don't mean to make anyone wad up. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

No prob Sully, I'm not calling you out either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Dude...Let it fly. GET A REFUND! It's not right...right. You paid good money for the thing and it should be right. I'm sure there is another dealer with another guitar that isn't all goofed up...buy that one. If you keep it, you own it, and it'll burn you up when you think you blew your wad on it..soon enough another dealer will put them on "blow out". I got maybe 15-20 Charvels and Jackson plus another 10 Gibsons (standards, customs, historics) and each time the dealer was like you're getting the deal of a lifetime"! Two weeks later I see it for $200 cheaper. Top that off, I send about 1/3 of the guitars I buy back cause it's already scratched or dinked or has gouched or misalligned or something wacked is up. Hell at the factory they just cut it in half and laugh..."oops, someone caught us on that one..Ha!". There is a corporate dude with a big-ass mohagonny desk who it like "that's good enough for those yuks out there..just keep shipping them!". They ain't going to stop making them tomarrow..hang in there and get what you want...simple as that. When it's all said and done...it's your guitar...get what you want.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Say you'll keep it if you can get a substantial discount [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1, but only if the guitar really speaks to you...otherwise I´d take the plunge and wait for a new one [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Just a pic to realize the "misalignment" of tremolo with neck.

CLICK IT (Big size)

I am pretty disappointed with that...

Comment

It doesn't seem 'that' far off, but if you feel it's misaligned, sic est.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I own a KV2 I bought one year ago and strings are perfectly aligned with neck. On a high-standing guitar those things don't have to occur.

Have you notice how the neck pickup is really off to the higher strings ?

Comment

Yeah it's a bit off, like I said. And again this raises the issue of sending it back vs having a luthier fix that relatively cheaply.

I would still send it back, but that might be gigantically hassling if it has to go transatlantic again.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Assuming that the camera angle was parallel, when looking at the strings on the neck and the polepiece alignment I agree: That looks pretty poor to me, and I think that would be going back if it were mine.

Even if Jackson let it go out, it's something that I would have expected the dealer to have picked up before shipping (especially internationally) though.
                              Popular is not the same as good
                              Rare is not the same as valuable
                              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

The alignment bothers me as well, you may get lucky and it´ll be just doweling and redrilling the holes, but there may not be enough play in the route to move the trem 1-2 mm sideways as looks to be needed.....

THAT I would have definitely sent back [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X