Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is '97 black KV-1 made of?

hey there

here is your new member on Jackson Forum from Gemany...( so excuse my modest english knowlegde...)

So, what im really curious about is what my '97 black King-V-1 is made of. There is so much different **** to read on the internet...: Some say it has SH-5 in Brigde although Dave says he always uses SH-4!
    And what wood is it made of? Korina? Poplar? And there are even many kinds of Poplar...if anybody knows more about that?
    And also read that some times the King-V has a Korina NECK...

If you can help me, thanks alot...and we'll see soon...

Re: what is \'97 black KV-1 made of?

As far as I know the solid finishes had poplar bodies and maple necks, while transparent were all korina

Comment

Thats not what I heard.

I emailed Kevin some year back, it was 1998 or 1999. He said all usa models were alder unless otherwise specified, and there wasn't a USA poplar model, it was a misprint.

I know how much I hate polar and loved the KV1, so I emailed them.

Actually now that I think about it, I may have emailed the custom shop, not Kevin.
      At any rate, I belive its alder. It wouldn't make sense to produce a guitar in that grade, with a poplar body.

Comment

yeah but once i heard that there is even a noble sort of poplar, called citrus-tree-poplar or anything. And most factorys would call it just poplar...

Comment

Possibly.

Again, KV1..alder...it was Kevin Easton or Tim Wilson that told me that. I inquired, because I was sitting in class starring at my Jackson catalog, the year was 1997 or 1998, and every USA model said poplar body. Didn't make sense.

Whoever it was, told me the KV1 was alder, and that all usa models were alder unless otherwise specified (meaning, alder or "better", basically)...and that the catalog was misprinted.

Even the KE3 is Alder.

I'm positive its Alder.

Comment

Take off the control plate, if ya still aren't assured. Poplar is soft, with bit of pressure, you can jab a ball point pin into poplar. Alder is darker, and harder.

Comment

In '97 (owned a '97) - pickups were tb5 custom in the bridge and I can't remember what I took out of the neck. As far as I can remember the neck portion was rock maple and was built with alder wings. I'll try and figure out what was in the neck on that thing [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Probably a jazz, in the early 90's mayeb a Lawrence XL500.

Comment

CHris bro...

You have no idea how excited I am, btw.
                  I have literally lost hours of sleep...just thinking about it, even in bed with my g/f, totally serious.

"Baby, I wish you were a KV1 BGF"...I really told her that the other night.

Comment

Yeah, Steve, and the KV won't leave a wet spot. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The recent era King V Production USA's were alder body sides with maple necks. Some were made of Korina too. The KV-1 did not have trem spaced pickups either, it was the SH-5 and SH-2 Jazz in the neck.
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I keep wanting to say the neck was a jazz.....I'm not 100% sure that is what I removed and the pickup was original. Wish my brain still worked [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Steve - If I ever said anything like that to my wife I would be sleeping forever in my truck [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Joe, well..actually bro..if you know my Mustaine/KV1 fetish..which ya know a little bit about..it may just leave a wet spot too..hehe.

Chris...yeah, well, ya may want to consider marring your pickup truck, check out Rodney Carringtons' song about that. Its a rather convincing song. Makes me think of my 1960 F100 custom cab..."old faithfull"...my "dad" has that truck right now..=(

The name of the song is like track 5 or track 6... track something...pretty good/funny tune.
                        Heard it on The Bob and Tom Show like 2 years ago.

As far as sleeping arrangments go..she sleeps on my air mattress, we've been together a month as of today, and we have only slept apart 6 times.

I managed to get a night to myself, after dealing with her puppy sad face, then her anger..after slipping in "I think we need a break for a night..I just need soem tiem to myself.." in the other night. Had a great night too. Got temp-banned from Fridays, got wicked heart burn from those long island iced teas, and had a great time with my friends. And passed out at 7am.

I'm glad I don't talk as much as I type.

Comment

I've heard a few Rodney songs.....funny stuff [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yup..hehe [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hay, nice avatar there... [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by GWARGHOUL:
                              At any rate, I belive its alder. It wouldn't make sense to produce a guitar in that grade, with a poplar body.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why not? The Shannon Soloist was poplar. Poplar is very similar in tone to alder anyway.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X