Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about these "lost models?" now only custom shop

i have a question about what i like to call the "lost models."

mainly the Death Angel, Demon, Star and Xtreme Rhoads.

were they ever in regular production?

and in that note, can anyone show me a picture of an Xtreme Rhoads? i've never seen one.

Re: question about these "lost models?" now only custom shop

No, No, Sorta, and Yes.

The Death angle and the Demon were always custom only. I think Jackson produced star-bodied guitars for the Japanese market but I'm not sure. They made quite a few in the San Dimas era but since those were all technically 'custom' they never really had a true 'production model' run like with the current USA select series. The XTRR was made for one year...2000, I believe. Reverse headstock and slightly smaller body size. Some had an unfinished neck and they had a different pickup combination than the rest of the USA line. Here are a couple of pics:

http://www.jacksonmuseum.com/museum/...cs/RR2797.html

EDIT: The first link is not a production model, but is a precursor to the XTRR so it counts either way.

[ October 23, 2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: JimmyApollo ]

Comment

not so extreme after all. its a "Dinky Rhoads!" LOL [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Right, the body shape is a "Dinky" size based on the Danny Spitz models that were made (his custom ones and a few PCS models).

Comment

Jim, you sure about the Demon always being custom only?

I played one a few weeks ago in Karlsruhe, supposedly early ´90s. I´m pretty sure it didn´t have any "CS" markings on it, but I may be mistaken.

I´ll probably snag that one next, btw [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

They never put the custom shop logo on the earlier custom shop guitars. As a matter of fact you have to ask for it when you order one custom or they don't put it on. If it's a true custom, which I'm sure it would be, it will have a J***** serial number.
            We must!
            We must!
            We must increase the bust!
            The bigger the better!
            The tighter the sweater!
            The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Originally posted by Soloist1:
              ....If it's a true custom, which I'm sure it would be, it will have a J***** serial number.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That I coulda looked at, true. But it was actually a Bolt on, so that means it "should" just have a 4 digit number likely in the 7xxx range, or? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I thought Jxxxxxxx was Neckthrus? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: question about these &quot;lost models?&quot; now only custom shop

FYI, for 2004, the Star has been brought back available as a USA Standard production model Charvel. There's also a limited edition strathead version available for a short time, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus:
                  That I coulda looked at, true. But it was actually a Bolt on, so that means it "should" just have a 4 digit number likely in the 7xxx range, or? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I thought Jxxxxxxx was Neckthrus? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Right, a true custom bolt-on would have a four-digit neckplate. As Soloist1 said, CS markings are a more recent (sometime in the mid-late '90s) addition.

Comment

Originally posted by Soloist1:
                    They never put the custom shop logo on the earlier custom shop guitars. As a matter of fact you have to ask for it when you order one custom or they don't put it on. If it's a true custom, which I'm sure it would be, it will have a J***** serial number.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had to specify I didn't want it on my charvel
                    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

What would be the reason NOT to have the "Custom Shop" on the headstock? Wouldn't having that increase the value? (In addition to adding to the cool factor)
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by KMaynard:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Soloist1:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had to specify I didn't want it on my charvel </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I didn't specify one way or another for the Warrior. And it didn't come with it. Mike told me he doesn't put it on unless someone asks for it when I talked to him about the paint job. Maybe it matters how he feels that day. I'm guessing some get it and some don't.
                        We must!
                        We must!
                        The bigger the better!
                        The tighter the sweater!

Comment

Some people just don't want the extra clutter it puts on the headstock. Having the custom shop logo on a guitar does seem to drive the price a bit higher than it would if it doesn't have it.

As far as the Demon goes, I've only seen three of them, and all three were bolt-on guitars, one was a seven string. Two were clear and one was black.

I'm sure they could make a neckthru, and probably have, I just haven't seen one.

The Demon is definitely custom shop only.
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Extra clutter? Heh, if I paid the scratch for a CS, I'd damn well want that on there! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            So many dudes claim their stuff is "Custom" --checked eGay lately? [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] -- then one could whip it out and say "*This* is a Custom Shop!"
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The serial number and the fact the guitar is unique is enough, as far as I'm concerned, to say whether its a custom piece of not. I don't need it written on the guitar. Maybe they need a graphic that says "Custom Shop" across the whole front of the guitar. lol The older ones never had it and its pretty easy to tell the difference between a select and a custom. That logo adds no value IMO.
                              We must!
                              We must!
                              The bigger the better!
                              The tighter the sweater!

Comment

Working...
                              X