No announcement yet.

Question about WR-1 Warrior pickups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about WR-1 Warrior pickups...

now i know there is a topic here about good pickups for a USA Jackson and i asked there about the WR1's SH-8 and SH-10 but all i got was recommendations about pickups that i didnt need advice about.

i am curious about the SH-8 Invader and the SH-10 Full Shred, so i made this topic and asked directly. i'd like to know more specifically how they hold up to the KE2's SH-4 and SH-2? the SH-4 seems to be great for metal. im wondering if the SH-8 and the SH-10 are as well?

Re: Question about WR-1 Warrior pickups...

If your talking about output. They don't hold up. They are way past the SH-4 and SH-2. They may even be to hot for some peoples taste. They are definitely both metal pickups and at the highest end of Duncans spectrum of metal pickups at that. If your looking for the most extreme Duncans that's the combo right there. If you want something in between that and the Kelly combo then look at SH-5's or SH-6's. I have a SH-5 in my Warrior and wouldn't replace it for anything. Don't forget that even if you don't like the WR1 combo they are fairly easy to swap out.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

that's exactly the kind of answer i was looking for. thanks.

Comment

If there will be one of the two that you didn't like I would think it would be the invader at the bridge. In my opinion the full shred is probably the best Duncan metal pickup for the neck position in a dual hum combo. They named it full shred for a good reason.
        We must!
        We must!
        The bigger the better!
        The tighter the sweater!

Comment

what do you think would happen if i put two SH-10s in a Jackson USA? just like many people like to put two EMG 81s for good lead work? would that be a good idea?

Comment

I'll totally second that. I love the Full Shred in the neck position, but the Invader is just too much -- the output is so hot that it tends to mush distorted chords when more than three strings are used at a time.

If your style revolves around brutal, crushing powerchords, the Invader might just be your ticket to Valhalla. If you lean more toward power metal, neoclassical, or speed metal that requires power _and_ articulation, you might want to look elsewhere.

--jr
            「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Comment

Not sure. I've never played an axe that had dual full shred pickups. Never played a full shred in the bridge position either.
              We must!
              We must!
              The bigger the better!
              The tighter the sweater!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Rasgueado:
                I'll totally second that. I love the Full Shred in the neck position, but the Invader is just too much -- the output is so hot that it tends to mush distorted chords when more than three strings are used at a time.

If your style revolves around brutal, crushing powerchords, the Invader might just be your ticket to Valhalla. If you lean more toward power metal, neoclassical, or speed metal that requires power _and_ articulation, you might want to look elsewhere.

--jr
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well i mostly like to play Iron Maiden and Megadeth type stuff, so i guess you'd recommend the idea of 2 SH-10s for "power_and_articulation?" and yes, my friend did say the SH-8 on the (dumb) Fender Delonge sig Strat sucks.

Comment

Hmmmm.

To be honest, I'm not sure about two Full Shreds ... I risk ostracizing myself in the forum here, but I kinda dig on DiMarzios. I think you're tough to beat a PAF Pro in the bridge. The Full Shred will kick the Pro's little butt on output, though, so mating a Full Shred and a PAF Pro would be tough.

Tell ya what ... I can post some samples of the WR-1's stock pickup configuration when I get home tonight and you can decide for yourself. I've got dual PAF Pros in my JEM, so I'll record a few snippets with them, too.

--jr
                  「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Comment

I had two Inavders put in my Kelly XLR. Those things kicked ass! Talk about low mids and bass punch! They did need to be kept a little lower in the body to get more of the natural guitar sound and not so much of the overtones of it being so hot, but they sounded really nice. Though, I probably would have liked to try a Full Shred in the neck, as I tend to like brighter neck pups and it seems that the full shred would blend perfectly with the Invader in the bridge.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X