Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dinky vs. soloist: What's the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dinky vs. soloist: What's the difference?

they both look like the same guitar to me. what's the difference?

Re: dinky vs. soloist: What\'s the difference?

Dinky=bolt-on
    Soloist=neckthrough

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yep those are the 2 major differences, others are:

SL1 & SL2H Soloists have:
      Painted neck
      Seymour Duncan pickups
      a small fraction bigger than the Dinky

DK1 Dinky has:
      Tung-oiled neck
      EMG 85 (neck) and 81 (bridge) active pickups
      fraction smaller than a SL

I might be wrong but a Dinky might have a thinner neck as well.

Comment

Yep, forgot to mention the painted necks on the Soloists, probably because I don't consider it a playing factor [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        As for pickups, yes, that's if you're buying brand new/recent models, but I was generalizing throughout the entire history of the line and every model range (USA, Pro, X, MG, etc etc) where the only mentionable/constant difference is construction.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I didnt want it to sound like In was "undermining" you, hehe, just all the things I recently found out when researching the differences and wished that would've been posted when I asked, besides the standard "neck thru bolt on" answer.

The painted/non painted necks I think might be enough to sway a person, I like tungoiled necks better myself.

Tis all Newc! You still da man.

Comment

thanks for the responses.

that got me wondering: is there any difference between the respective usa and pro models?

Comment

USA Select Models are made in small batches in the USA (hence the name [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

The pro models are made in larger batches in Japan.

Actually the Soloist and Dinky are the same size. Both of these styles are 7/8 the scale of a full size Stratocaster shape.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:

Actually the Soloist and Dinky are the same size. Both of these styles are 7/8 the scale of a full size Stratocaster shape.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seems I was wrong about the size differences... they're really 7/8's the size of a stratocaster? Damn they look bigger to me.

Comment

Working...
                X