jackson usa sl2h wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackson usa sl2h wood

i am trying to figure out if this sl2h is mahogany (mah) or alder/ maple. it is hard to tell thru the finish. it is trans blue with tiger top. fender/jackson could not track the s/n for me. to be honest the cust. svc. guy was pretty clueless. s/n is UO9517 probably built in the last couple of years. bought it at a pawn shop for a steal $800. i don't think the pawn shop guy knew what he had.

Re: jackson usa sl2h wood

Should be Alder wings with a maple neckthru.

Comment

Remove the truss rod cover and see if there's a part of unfinished wood. Maple is very light, mahogany is kind of brown.

Comment

i took your advice and removed the truss rod cover and lo and behold the wood is brown. i also took the guitar out in the sunlight to see if i could get a better look into the finish on the back. you can barely see where the neck thru is sandwiched between the wings. the grain on the neck and the wings looked the same. if this was an alder/maple i am assuming that you could tell a difference in the grain, right?

Comment

IIRC jackson didn't start making mahogany sl2-s until 2002 and that serial # should be from 2001 which would make it alder. I happen to own uo9634 and it was completed 5-29-01 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 24, 2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: guitarded ]

Comment

since the first usa neckthru soloist of 2001 was s/n 8970, my axe must have been made in the spring of '01. i still can't figure out why the neck and body woods look so similar.

[ September 24, 2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: troy ]

Comment

is it a hard tail?
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

If it's an alder/maple combination, you should be able to see quite a big difference in wood color between the neck and the body, otherwise its mahogany.

Like this:

The part in the back (between the wings) is never maple (only the front part is). Don't compare that part to the wings, cause that's the same wood as the wings.

[ September 25, 2003, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: TDurden ]

Comment

thanks that clears it up. i definitely have the alder/ maple which is what i like. in answer to the other question, this guitar has a floyd.

Comment

Another way to tell is the Mahogany Soloists have a thicker Maple Top visable from the sides.

Matt

Comment

Hey, that guitar in TDurden's pic looks really familiar....lol [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

On another note, Mahogony is much heavier than Alder. My PC1 is way heavier then my SL2 or Sl1 that are made of Alder

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
                        i thought the sl2h is hard tail and the that the sl2-mah was mohagany

maybe it was a brain fart?
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, all regular SL2H models have Floyds, even the mahogany models. There were special models, like the SL2GX (made through GuitarXpress that had the string-thru/tunomatic bridge). Still, the TOM bridge is not technically a "hardtail", as hardtails are like the fixed rectangular bridges that sit on top of the body like you'd see on a Fender.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i thought the sl2h is hard tail and the that the sl2-mah was mohagany

maybe it was a brain fart?
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

A TOM can be consider a true hardtail if its not a string-through body design, if its like a Gibson Les Paul then its a hardtail.

... Just to add to toejam's words of wisdom... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X