GMW or USA Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMW or USA Jackson

First, I hope I put this post in the correct forum.

Ok after seeing all the NAMM Jacksons I have a woody for some kind of cool graphic guitar. I was considering either a GMW rockreplica like the DeMartini brown python or one of the NAMM Jackson from guitarxpress. Possibly the custom green flamed soloist or the Warthog warrior.

My questions is this. Do the GMW hold their value ?? or do they take a larger than normal dip? Or am I better off just bitting the bullet and getting one of NAMM guitars.

Re: GMW or USA Jackson

I would recommend against the 'investment' aspect, as you'll be stuck with an expensive guitar that you don't play for fear it will decrease in resale value. Get a guitar you'll play the paint off of. Your local bank should be able to find you some investment interests.

That said, GMWs do not re-sell for much more than a Warmoth, except to the few who know about GMW, and then you could not get what you paid.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
      I would recommend against the 'investment' aspect, as you'll be stuck with an expensive guitar that you don't play for fear it will decrease in resale value. Get a guitar you'll play the paint off of. Your local bank should be able to find you some investment interests.

That said, GMWs do not re-sell for much more than a Warmoth, except to the few who know about GMW, and then you could not get what you paid.

Newc
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would have to agree with that 100%. I have to add that the vast majority of guitars out there are not sound investments. Think of the money aspect of a guitar like you would a computer or car. Buy it for utility and enjoy it.

Comment

Ok let me clarify a bit. I usually am a lifer well it comes to my guitars. But I was talking in more of the reference of 'if I don't like it' sell it, take my losses and move on.

I was just wondering which would be a smaller percentage hit.

I'm leaning tword the GMW because like Newc said it was less out of pocket so no crying when I beat it up.

No I need to decide on Monte's GMW or the on GMW has on their site ( both brown snake skin ). [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I think you have made you choice [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I have both an 2001 SL2 (Black - I was not in the mood for something nuts) and a 2002 GMW custom old style Charvel S-Head (kinda like the Demartini Skull would the "blood"). I am also a "lifer" with guitars. While I have no plans to sell the SL2 (and these days I do not believe I could get nearly what I paid anyway), I have not picked it up more than once in the last year. The GMW is to my specs. If you are not going to sell the guitar, then I would say have Lee build you EXACTLY what is in your mind (for example, I wanted a HEAVY maple guitar, not the standard light stuff, as well as a heal contour, EMG81, recessed trem .....).
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I'd agree with RR05xx about getting one from GMW to your specs over a "ready-made", as there's less chance you'll not like it. GMWs (from my understanding of those who own one) play just as good as any Jackson, so you're getting the quality you want at a price you can live with.

I got a quote from them a coupla years ago for a Dream Guitar of mine - Alpine white Gibson-style V with gold hardware, fully bound head and neck, ebony board, and split paralellogram inlays - and they said $1600 with case. Course, that was for a bolt-on since the neckthrough woulda been at least $2K, but with those options (inlays, binding, gold).

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

GMW will do all those neat things the Jackson custom shop refuses to do now and will do it for 1/2 the price. If you want a basic guitar, Jackson USA Selects are an excellent bang-for-the-buck. If you want a custom, GMW will make you exactly what you want for much less and you won't have to wait a year or longer.

Comment

Working...
                X